Anyone else tired of registering deer?

bullwinkle

Anyone else tired of registering deer?

Postby bullwinkle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 pm

This practice has run its course. I have my buck tag filled. I know I have to shoot 6-8 does to keep the balance on my properties and it makes me tired just thinking of all the work. My property is about 20 minutes from the nearest registration station. It becomes a very late night if you shoot a doe with a bow this time of year. If I could bring it to the barn, cut it up and call in - this just makes sense. Give me a number to write on my tag to show the registration.

We need to find a politician to propose a bill to quit registering does. I am ok with the bucks - since obviously the DNR does not trust us to call in and we have to start somewhere.

I want to and will shoot more does, if the DNR would make it easy

I thought it was interesting. I shot a elk out West this year and didnt have to register it????? How can WI require does to be registered and out West they dont even micro manage elk?

mhouck06

Re: Anyone else tired of registering deer?

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:48 pm

I am from PA, we do not have to take our deer to a check station to get them registered. I wish we did though. I can see the inconvienience, but for the state to have accurate numbers of deer taken, i think it is a great tool. In PA you are "supposed" to call in or mail in a harvest report card, but I do not believe many people do. PA just estimates the population. I can see your point and why you would like it changed, but I think it is for the better of the resources and the hunters to have to register your deer.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:16 pm

I think it is a good thing. I will agree with you that it is a pain in the butt. It seems that each year the registration stations change and you end up driving around trying to find the new locations, only to get there and have a teenage girl that wants nothing to do with seeing a dead deer doing the registration. Fill out the card, get your tag and go on your way.

I think the DNR needs to utilize the registration stations more like they used to, with biologists/wardens/field staff out taking jaw bone samples and aging the deer on site at the very least on Opening Weekend. Let's get back to the shoes on the ground real data, not computer generated models, of deer population estimating. I think they would be much quicker to react to weird/abnormal circumstances in localized areas and could proactively try changing things instead of waiting for the angry mobs with pitch forks and torches showing up at their door.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 am

Last year, Tennessee implemented on-line registration to make it easier. Still have to print another kill tag for the next one.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 am

I shot a doe on Sunday September 25 in a CWD zone.

There was no registration station, that also tested for CWD, near Dane County that was open on Sunday. I had to drive to Barneveld to register the deer, then to a processor on Monday that also tests to drop of my deer. There is a DNR sponsored testing/registration station in Black Earth, but the sign on the shack said that they're not open until mid October. What? I get that there have been labor cutbacks, but there are quite a few deer shot on Sunday. In fact, there was a father and son in the same predicament as me.

Turkey registration is now online or call in. I think deer registration should follow suit. It was raining when I registered my deer. The young lady behind the C Store counter handed me the metal tag to register my deer--she didn't want any part of it.

What's the point of in-person registration if that is the level of attention/security paid to it?

Jim

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:57 pm

I think that as long as WI has so many different regulations in place through the state, we have no choice but to register the deer in the current way. Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect for the reasons you mention and more, but the number of people that think it's better to fudge info would make the state seem all messed up.

Look at how EAB ran. The poorly run registration stations would have guys registering the same doe over and over again to get buck stickers. We probably all heard of it being done. I used to do registrations and the number of guys that would give me a dirty look for actually slitting the ear like we were supposed to....I'm surprised I'm alive! If it was a call in system, can you imagine the number of imaginary deer that would have been registered in order to get stickers!
Same will happen with the fact that some zones are buck only now. What stops a guy from knocking down a doe in that area and calling it in and saying he shot it in another zone.

Until the state is run on a more uniform management procedure, even though it's poorly done more often than not, physically registering the deer is the closest thing we have to monitoring the different policies.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:20 pm

I agree with a lot everyone points. Registration has just been a pet peeve of mine. The more the DNR micro manages, the more hoops we as hunters and landowners have to jump through, the worse it seems to get and they dont get the results they want. It is going to be interesting around us, a couple of years without EAB and the population will explode. I dont want it to happen again and now the DNR does not have any tools to manage the population. During the lean years I noticed an improvement in antler growth, less spikes and body weights. For the last 2 years I did not have a spike on film. This year we have 3-4 already (one is a small 3ptr). One year of not having earn a buck, our deer sighting have doubled. The scientists say you have to harvest 30-40% of the does to keep your population stable. That is a lot of deer. I just wonder is the answer for deer control - IN FARM COUNTRY - unlimited doe tags and no registration. Let the land owners take care of their individual situations as they desire

I have been a land owner for 20 years. You guys can trust me, I care as much, if not more, about the deer using my property as the DNR. If they gave me more rope, I could and would help them get the deer under control. I recently had a DNR forester in helping me on a logging project and he saw the browse line and offered me numerous crop damage tags. These too have to be registered thus it is impractical for me to manage. I estimate that each deer I shoot costs me 1 - 1.5 hours screwing around with registration.

Just venting guys - hopefully I drop my buck early opening day and I can fill all my doe tags the remaining hours of that weekend - one trip to the registration station before the Packer game, baby

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:28 pm

I have a small car, and I need to find a way to fit a dead deer into it and to a registration station, if I get one. How do think I feel?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Jslotter wrote:I have a small car, and I need to find a way to fit a dead deer into it and to a registration station, if I get one. How do think I feel?

Does it have a reese hitch, or can you add one? those hitch cargo baskets work quite well for that type of transport, and no mess in the car.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:48 pm

i agree with this thread completely..........i passed on a lot of shots last year(and 2 outta 3 hunts this year) because i cannot stand driving to the local bar to get my deer registered and dealing with the horrible attitude of the 1 women that ALWAYS seems to be working when i go up their(oh and they get paid for every deer they register.....super)

so next year they can do the same thing for deer that they did this year for turkeys.....close the registration stations and go to phone or online registration

Next

Return to Wisconsin