Under two weeks to go...

woodsalta

Under two weeks to go...

Postby woodsalta » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:13 am

Ok guys, it's been quiet here the last month or so...are you ready? Stands in place? Lanes trimmed? Camo washed? Plenty of practice taken? Broadheads sharpened? Bow tuned in?

Good luck and lets start a new topic of our deer photos on or after October 17th!
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Joel Spring

Re: Under two weeks to go...

Postby Joel Spring » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:57 am

Same here in NY. Opener on the 15th. I'm definitely excited. Mostly I'm ready. I've been shooting the bow, my other stands are in place, etc, but, I got permission on 110 acres (with two relatively good stand sites) just a couple of weeks ago but, unfortunately, the weather hasn't been conducive to stand setting. Fortunately, both stand locations are far from bedding areas and in travel corridors, so I think I will be okay. I just hate hanging stands this late in the season. I will probably hang those, and just leave them until Halloween or so, so things have time to calm down. Always exciting to hunt a new place.

Good hunting!

Joel
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:50 am

Hopefully the weather will cool off! Was planning on a few sits in NH this weekend but supposed to be 80 degrees! Seen a few does but no bone yet. Headin to NJ the first week Mass open. Goods luck to all.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Joel,

I have made the trip to NY in the last few years for the opening day in October. It's nice that they have muzzleloader for opening week. I hunt in zone 6J upstate and there are alot of nice woods up there. Unfortunatly I won't be going up this year due to my personal budget but I have a few friends that will be headed up.

Good luck and keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind,

Proline, have fun in NJ. Is it bow or gun season down there? Anyways good luck.

Andy

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 am

Bow in NJ. I dont gun hunt that much anymore. NJ is fun because you actually see deer frequently! My buddy has 60 acres and all I gotta do is get license. Most of the sightings are does but its fun. I usually see 10-20 deer a day. Usually take a doe but always hope for the buck to come thru. Love just seeing them.

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:49 am

Hey Andy,

I don't think I've ever hunted in 6J. I hunted extensively in the southern Catskills and the western Adirondacks, but now mostly hunt around my home in western NY. Less deer here, but more monsters.

Good luck hunting!

Joel
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:34 am

I feel bad, all the guys left today for the muzzleloader opener in NY. 6J is up near the town of Diane. We go to the Harrisville Rod & Gun after we are done hunting for the day to have a few cold ones and talk about the next days hunting plan.

I haven't gone in the last two years due to the lack of $$$ but woudl be there in a heart beat if the $$$ situation was different.

Return to Massachusetts