Tree Stand Recommendations?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Sopchoppy

RE: Tree Stand Recommendations?

Postby Sopchoppy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:54 am

I use a Summit Ultimate Viper SS. It's got all the creature comforts you'll ever need, especially the comfort seat. I'm 59 and want to be comfortable and safe. It's both.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:00 pm

the climbers are pretty easy to use i like the kindthat has a rail to sit down on to rest.i had an old loggy that used a strap that was a little tougher to climb with but it worked.dont forget to tie the 2 sections together
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:45 am

Loggy bayou predator, Rated to 300lbs and only weighs 11lbs to haul in and out with you. I also have a gorilla king kong that i like so far, only downside to is is it weighs 18 lbs.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 pm

GO with a summit they are very strong and quiet easy to carry and will hold more than the 300 lbs they advertise. held me along with another hunter while we put up another tree stand with no prob and no creeks or pops.

I also use the old myles keller dont know if they even make them anymore but feel just as good as a summit.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:43 pm

ORIGINAL: Michael Denehy

Hello all.  I am new to bowhunting on public land meaning I am not used to packing in and out a tree stand.  I am looking for advice on what you think is a great overall tree stand that fits the following criteria:

1- large enough for a 6'4 230 lb man
2- comfortable enough to carry a few miles in the woods
3- price not a major concern (I believe you get what you pay for) but I do not wan tot go crazy.

I have always built or permanently placed stands on my own land.  Now I am bowhuting on land I cannot leave permanent stands on.  What advice do you have for me?

If you are going to go, then go big. Get something that is rated for at least 300 lbs. Remember that it is the weight of you and your stuff. My boots feel like 20 lbs in the morning...

Comfort means something different to use all, but a seat that has enough support. It doesn't matter how much padding you have or how thick the cushion is the bars hurt after a couple hours.

Climbers are nice, but get a good one that is quiet. You can climb quietly but some are better than others. Make sure that it is easy to put together with your eyes closed. Little pieces are easy to loose too.

You could always chain it to the tree and just pack in the portable ladder.

If you have never hung a lock on stand, then you might want to think about how to do it. I get another rope that locks onto the tree above where I want it hung. I pull it up and tie it off. It make locking it onto the tree quick and easy. Buy a good lock and chain.
From those who much is given, much is expected

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:46 pm

ORIGINAL: wannabehuntin

Have any of you heard of TreeWalker climbing stands?  My neighbor bought one last year and he just absolutely raves about it.  He is supposed to be bringing it back from his deercamp so i can try it out.  It is kinda like an Ol' Man but alot better is what he says, and let me tell you this guy spends many hours in it guiding and videotaping for hunters.  After I try it out I'll elt you know what I think, but was just wondering if you all had any experience with them.

wannabehuntin -
I purchased the Treewalker Treestand at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo 2 years ago, and it is the best and most comfortable stand I have EVER used!  One of my hunting buddies bought one at the expo this year.  It's light, easy to use, and extremely comfortable.  You can sit back toward the tree or sit facing the tree.

There are a ton of good photos on their web site - http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/

I do recommend that you get the chill pad if you get one.  It just adds to the comfort level.

Kevin
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting