Chain link fences

crazybull

Chain link fences

Postby crazybull » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:31 am

What is your thoughts or experiences with hunting chain link fence lines? I've found a fence line coming off a hill with an elevation of 1000 feet that only has one spur thats not wicked steep. The fence follows this spur its entire length to the bottom of the hill. I haven't been able to get out in time to scout it (damn work) so this year is map recon only. Was just wondering what you guys think about fence lines and if its worth a sit or two?
Fear the government that fears your gun!

Joel Spring

Re: Chain link fences

Postby Joel Spring » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:07 am

There's a business not far from my home that has a couple of thousand feet of chain link. One side of the business is bordered by overgrown fields and generally good habitat. Without fail, the spot where the chain link fence meets the road is where many deer are killed (all year, but especially during the rut). It's an impassable barrier, and they run the length of it to get to the road crossing. I've ALMOST hit deer there several times.

I'd say that it's a good idea to give it a shot, especially where it corners, or bisects a couple of different kinds of cover.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

crazybull

Re: Chain link fences

Postby crazybull » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:27 am

Not sure but I think there is a section that has a gate that goes across a road. If not maybe at the bottom of the hill I can catch deer using the spur to travel up and down the hill.
Fear the government that fears your gun!

Return to New Hampshire