Marc Anthony...Some Questions!

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Marc Anthony

RE: Marc Anthony...Some Questions!

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

You know Marc, many will read of your last hunt and say, "Yeah....RIGHT!"

And several years ago I'd of thought the same thing.....but no more. I've had it happen, more than once, and it's just amazing. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. The big difference between you and I, is that you can close the deal better than I can! But I don't get to hunt all that much in recent years. That's alright, the experiences I've been having are priceless!!!

You know WW, "Yeah right" has been in my life since I was a kid but living by the motto "Never give up" has always given me the extra push to try things that most people can't accept. Not to get side tracked but in the book that I'm writing, I'm offering inspiration to young people to never give up, whether it be in hunting or with dealing with life's problems. By going above and beyond, you're bound to experience extraordinary situations of both pain and pleasure. I say, even if you fail by trying, you're at least living and not watching life pass you by. To many people are scared to fail but it's OK to if you try!

With regard to closing the deal, I have failed so many times I can't count. But, when you get that "one time" chance where you can pull it off, it just makes it all worth it. It seems like I succeed all of the time when hunting big bucks, but in reality, for every one good hunt, there's a dozen poor hunts. That's OK with me because I've learned to enjoy the outdoors anyway. Having said that, ground hunting has opened a whole new world of excitement that some people just can't fathom. I'm up close and personal with so many whitetails each year, it's astonishing....and I wouldn't have it any other way!

As far as what other people say, it doesn't matter to me. I get emails every once in a while from jealous or disgruntled hunters stating ugly things regarding my hunting. Things like "It can't be done", "It never happed that way", "The picture's been Photoshoped", etc. What these sad individuals don't understand is, I'm NOT competing with them! I'm not even trying to set a land speed record, I'm just enjoying hunting! Heck, I don't even enter my bucks in the books anymore. I really don't care! Put me up close to a wild animal and I'll have something to remember for a lifetime!

Funny thing though, every person who I helped get into hunting whietails from the ground, has never turned back. I helped a guy who reads my blogs this year by setting him up with a Ghillie suit for his first ground hunt ever. I never met the guy in person but he has read nearly every piece of material I've written regarding ground hunting and he broke the mold, hit the ground and took 2 pope and young bucks in October! Tagged out in October here in IL. He's ecstatic! I can give many more examples but the common denominator is those who have tried have opened up a whole new way to enjoy hunting again!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:32 pm

I can give many more examples but the common denominator is those who have tried have opened up a whole new way to enjoy hunting again!

And THAT, kiddies, just about sums it up!

Thanks for your input, Marc. Let us know when your book comes out! I want one!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks, very glad I asked the question, all 4 are great tips!

tonybow

Re: Marc Anthony...Some Questions!

Postby tonybow » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:53 pm

With regard to waiting for the deer versus walking and looking for them: say it is morning, you don't see any deer, and think they may still be feeding at the adjacent orchard; would it be wise to try and get as close to the orchard as possible, and try to ambush one as they leave to go lay down? I'm thinking this may be a tactic because: if i'm too far away, they may bed very close to the foodplot/orchard, and I would not even see a deer.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:04 pm

tony: That sounds like a plausible game plan, but there's A LOT more to it than just deciding to walk over there.

1. There's always THE WIND. You have to use it to your advantage, and it goes without saying that you must KNOW YOUR GROUND AS WELL AS THE DEER DO. That means being aware of how the thermals travel, and where the scent eddys swirl and pool. This comes from scouting.

2. Sun angle/shadows. Try to plan your approach so that you use the cover and shadows to your advantage. You DO NOT want the sun in your face, but then you also have to be aware that if the sun is behind you that you don't skylight yourself....again, shadows and cover. If you fish, try to hunt like a largemouth bass or a pike/muskie does.

3. Proper footwear/outerwear. Most of the time, the boots that 90% of the standhunters use have heavy lug soles, which makes walking quietly next to impossible. The same can be said for many of the camowear that's out there. My point here, is that you'd not go sit up in a tree dressed for a day of groundhunting/stalking and expect good results, so do the same for your ground hunt!

4. Dont push it! Moving too fast the cardinal sin of the stillhunter/stalker. Take your time. PLAN on it taking a long time. In fact, leave your watch in your pocket or pack. The hour has no relevance whatsoever to a deer, and when you hunt this way your are on THEIR schedule, not yours. Move S L O W LY towards where you think they may be, and then let them come to you.

Good luck!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

tonybow

Postby tonybow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 am

Great points,WW. It's always good to have reminders of what I should know, should have known, or decided wasn't that important! One thing I need to remind myself: if I think the deer may end up, or already are between me and the food, for example, I can take my blessed time about getting there! If the wind is wrong, I'll have to take "the long way".

tonybow

Postby tonybow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:42 am

Don't know if my PM worked, so here goes: do you treat your ghillie and other clothes with Tru....C prior to EVERY hunt, or do you think it will it be reliable for scent control for more than one hunt?

featherflinger

Postby featherflinger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Wow! What an awesome thread! You guys are getting me all pumped up about the possibility of trying the still hunt/stalk again. I have been a stand hunter for the past 10 or so years, and haven't still hunted since very early in my hunting experience. At that time I had a very hard time beeing patient enough for this style of hunting. I think with what I have learned in the years since and the information in this forum I may give it another try. I hunt with a recurve now, and it seems like I have some places where this style of hunting would suit the terrain nicely. They are areas that I have hunted for years, and I have a good idea of the travel patterns. Thank you guys for sharing some of the secrets of still hunting! Keep them coming!

First_Gen

Re: RE: Marc Anthony...Some Questions!

Postby First_Gen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:17 am

Marc Anthony wrote:
ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

You know Marc, many will read of your last hunt and say, "Yeah....RIGHT!"

And several years ago I'd of thought the same thing.....but no more. I've had it happen, more than once, and it's just amazing. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. The big difference between you and I, is that you can close the deal better than I can! But I don't get to hunt all that much in recent years. That's alright, the experiences I've been having are priceless!!!

You know WW, "Yeah right" has been in my life since I was a kid but living by the motto "Never give up" has always given me the extra push to try things that most people can't accept. Not to get side tracked but in the book that I'm writing, I'm offering inspiration to young people to never give up, whether it be in hunting or with dealing with life's problems. By going above and beyond, you're bound to experience extraordinary situations of both pain and pleasure. I say, even if you fail by trying, you're at least living and not watching life pass you by. To many people are scared to fail but it's OK to if you try!

With regard to closing the deal, I have failed so many times I can't count. But, when you get that "one time" chance where you can pull it off, it just makes it all worth it. It seems like I succeed all of the time when hunting big bucks, but in reality, for every one good hunt, there's a dozen poor hunts. That's OK with me because I've learned to enjoy the outdoors anyway. Having said that, ground hunting has opened a whole new world of excitement that some people just can't fathom. I'm up close and personal with so many whitetails each year, it's astonishing....and I wouldn't have it any other way!

As far as what other people say, it doesn't matter to me. I get emails every once in a while from jealous or disgruntled hunters stating ugly things regarding my hunting. Things like "It can't be done", "It never happed that way", "The picture's been Photoshoped", etc. What these sad individuals don't understand is, I'm NOT competing with them! I'm not even trying to set a land speed record, I'm just enjoying hunting! Heck, I don't even enter my bucks in the books anymore. I really don't care! Put me up close to a wild animal and I'll have something to remember for a lifetime!

Funny thing though, every person who I helped get into hunting whietails from the ground, has never turned back. I helped a guy who reads my blogs this year by setting him up with a Ghillie suit for his first ground hunt ever. I never met the guy in person but he has read nearly every piece of material I've written regarding ground hunting and he broke the mold, hit the ground and took 2 pope and young bucks in October! Tagged out in October here in IL. He's ecstatic! I can give many more examples but the common denominator is those who have tried have opened up a whole new way to enjoy hunting again!

Marc,

I've read your blog and it is quite inspirational. I fit one of the younger generation here, at 21. I know no one who hunts from the ground, and would label me crazy for wearing a ghillie suit to hunt deer. However, I have learned you just need to try and don't let anyone's negativity get in the way. I've failed college courses, tests, checkrides, hunts, etc...and no, I'm not a screw up by any means. I'm not trying to flatter myself here either, its part of life and learning to take it the right way and don't let it influence your forward momentum will go a long way in developing ones character for the better.

In a particular woods I hunt, I love going there because I know I will see something new every time. Its almost a trip (I would safely contribute some of that to all the oxygen in the air). A few hunts ago I heard a soft rustle right under my stand. I looked down and saw a turtle creeping along. It stopped, and looked up at me and wouldn't look away for three hours or so, and in that time it only moved one leg forward. To me it was a lesson nature was trying to tell me about staying still, being patient, and focused. That applies outside of the woods. The cool thing is these lessons are everywhere in the woods. My favorite part is getting in the woods early in the morning, with nothing knowing you are there and watching the show unfold around you as the sun comes up. Its a front row seat to the best movie on earth.

That being said, my ghillie suit materials have been ordered and construction will begin shortly! I can't wait to start ground hunting and being even closer to the deer. Like you said, Im not here to compete with anyone but myself, to prove I can do what I set out to do. Let the learning curve begin!

Paul

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking