Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

EatDeer

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

Postby EatDeer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:57 am

Nice thread hi-jacking, let's get back on topic...

I saw a nice young buck today , and a large doe... no shots yet. My friend has been seeing alot of deer activity around big white oaks, I hope the temps cool off soon.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:32 am

My apoligizes. :( I will remove my posts from this thread if you wish.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:03 am

I was out last night in my pop up blind and just before dark a doe came in that I would like to get but offered no shot. It was 82 and I don't know how those that hunt the warm weather stand it.

I had a big bodied buck come in this morning within 15 yards but behind me and no clear shot. It was in the lower 50s so it was very comfortable. At least I am seeing deer which is good for the small marginal area I am in & that is encouraging.

Corn all around but with the weather the farmers are hitting it hard in the local area. The weather looks like it will hold until the middle of next week at least so hopefully they will knock out a large percentage of it.

Good luck everyone :!:
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Im gonna hold off on hunting until it cools down some. I did check my camera a couple days ago. Had a few young bucks but no shooters. Not a lot of daylight activity yet either.
Trail Cam 9-10 thru 10-5 299.jpg
Trail Cam 9-10 thru 10-5 299.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 779 times
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:08 pm

EatDeer wrote:Nice thread hi-jacking, let's get back on topic...

I saw a nice young buck today , and a large doe... no shots yet. My friend has been seeing alot of deer activity around big white oaks, I hope the temps cool off soon.

That was my bad. In hindsight I should have started a new thread in IL.

Good luck & I also hope the temps cool off. It looks like the end of the coming week.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I havn't been able to go yet this year, been too busy trying to get the crops in. Maybe if we have 3 or 4 more good weeks of weather we will be done and I can get in the trees. Cant wait.

I did get a taste of it tonight though. When I got home from work this evening the neighbor kids and their dad, originally from St. Louis MO, was gathered with my wife at our machine shed. They had the youngest boys' (14) first deer hangin on the single tree and was waiting for me to get home to show them how to field dress it. I was tempted to just do it for them so I could go sit down in my chair and they could leave but I knew they wouldnt learn that way. So I gave him the knife and told him step by step how to do it. It was a lot more fun and we all had a good time watchin him get his hands dirty. I was glad I got the chance to be a part of it.

Hopefully I can get my hands "dirty" before long. Till then I will check in on you guys when I can. Good Luck and Stay SAFE!! :D

stu27

Postby stu27 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:42 pm

I know the talk is old, but this seems a little more reasonable than the original story that came out......

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/ind ... on_attack/

Anyone had any sort of luck so far? I've been out only once. Between work, family and the heat, I just haven't had much more opportunity than that. That'll change this weekend. Hoping to sit Saturday afternoon and then Sunday.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm

I went out last thursday..for an evening hunt...had 3 mature does come out about 5:20pm and stop at 15yds quartering away....since it was early [as far as shooting light]...i let all 3 walk to see what else would enter the bean field.....another 5-6 does meandered behind me with some fawns and none offered a shot opt.....

Im not going to get all righteous here,but im hereing guys beat the same drum over and over again as far the heat...i think they are wrong...period....remember that deer live outside ??? so in june and july it may suppress deer movement a little but they still move....
What i believe is going on right now is a transitional change ..its Autumn/Fall and there is plenty of crop fields in still ..that has a way bigger impact than the temps. crops are starting to come out by me fairly quick...most of the beans are out and/or being picked...some corn is out,but not enough.

If the temps are too warm for you by all meens stay home...5 of my hunting buddies say thats why they havent been out...missed opt. in my book if you have the time...i take a small pencil spray tube of deet.for the mosquitoes...i dress light in 100% polyester and get out and cool off, i havent seen a bunch of deer movement but the opt. to hunt with minimal clothes and plenty of leaves to break you up is way more advantages than usuing the temps as an excuse.Just my opinion and im not trying to be critical of ones choice...
Another choice would be to only hunt mornings ...its much cooler.....

Just trying to be informative and let guys know ...in my opinion the warmer weather has 0 to do with deer sightings right now....there is plenty of crop fields in and plenty of natural browse ...so deer can move and feed as they wish right now...the bigger factor is the timing of the crop fields coming out in full force and the available mast crop of acorns and other browse....deer got it good right now...i see not getting out and spending some stand time as ''missed opt.''.....if you really have the time...get out there ..and just hunt...dont expect deer patterns and behavior to be the same right now as they are in Nov...peace!-Jon~

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:47 am

jonny5buck wrote:Just trying to be informative and let guys know ...in my opinion the warmer weather has 0 to do with deer sightings right now....there is plenty of crop fields in and plenty of natural browse ...so deer can move and feed as they wish right now...the bigger factor is the timing of the crop fields coming out in full force and the available mast crop of acorns and other browse....deer got it good right now...i see not getting out and spending some stand time as ''missed opt.''.....if you really have the time...get out there ..and just hunt...dont expect deer patterns and behavior to be the same right now as they are in Nov...peace!-Jon~

Things were going well for getting crops out around here until the rains came in Wednesday PM. It looks like most of IL is getting a real soaker. That will put a damper on the farmer's efforts with the next five to seven days with a chance of more rain. It may take a while to dry out.

Even though there is a chance of rain this weekend, I hope to get out as long as it is not a major downpour or thunderstorms.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 am

My buddy just stuck a doe at a state park....he couldn't be more stoked :D ...its been a yr or two since he has got one....the conversation was short but he was pumped...he did an evening hunt and also missed a turkey...congrats to Jeremy-!

I wish the rest of you guys success in your hunts..i will post again after i hunt this weekend...im off all weekend and the weather is supposed to be beautiful...i seen 4 deer on the way to work last night ..one was a nice 8pt buck..feeding before the rain moved in....also had a doe in the road ..i almost hit...the other were does...it was hard to get the image of those deer out of my head while at work....still ready to knock one down for the freezer-Peace-JON~

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois