That vanilla thing.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
charlie 01

That vanilla thing.

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Anyone having any good reactions with the vanilla scent? I tried some by some of my cameras, but could see no noticable interest.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Homunculi

Re: That vanilla thing.

Postby Homunculi » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:10 pm

i do not know about the scents avail for this .. i would think apples or apple scent would work better ... see deer around apples, corn, acorns, alfalfa, and soybeans .. and apples are the most aromatic ... and i know they love to eat hosta plants as well

but what can i say ... i am only a 12 year shotgun hunter just getting into archery and learning tons myself
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 am

never tried the vanilla scent yet, I'd like to but haven't gotten around to it. I did put pears out for the first time this year and the deer found the new bait pile right away.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:41 am

Homunculi wrote:i do not know about the scents avail for this ..

This past Sept. there was a forum on vanilla scents being some kind of hot thing to use and was wondering if it was working for anyone. I agree, there are plenty of other things to use. Peanut butter is great, but hard to keep the raccoons and squirrels away. I talked to a hunter I know, and he has been feeding green tomatoes and ripe ones. He said they eat them up.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Hey Charlie i dont have any personal experience with vanilla,but ran in to a few hunters at a state park that swore by it...one guy hunted on the ground and had a spray bottle with him ....w/ a vanilla anise mixture...they swore by it and did get a few deer im not sure if he sprayed the ground or his clothes....its a curiousity scent is all ,and a few ol timers like this guy have had good success with it....

I prefer the less is more stance and never tried it...back when i first started hunting i tried several curiousity scents and cover scents....im not a big fan of any of them...i still use ''active scrape '' and pete rickard ''super doe '' on one or two hunts a yr during the rut ,but otherwise rely on funnels and wind direction ...i know your a seasoned hunter who is successfull in closing the deal on some impressive deer...i think the gamble with ''curiousity scents is too negative of a gamble..just my 2 cents-

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 pm

FYI........The STILL #1 P&Y Typical Whitetail, was shot by Mel Johnson of Peroia, Illinois in 1965. Johnson is reported to have used vanilla extract as a lure.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:24 am

Good point Woods. I was going to try it today, but rain and winds 30 mph kept me home. I'll be out the day it all calms down.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:07 pm

keep saying im going to try it, but i havent yet.. maybe tomorrow will be the day

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:31 pm

;) I'm mixing up a little cocktail to see what happens. The finest bakers pure vanilla extract, Lorann gourmet apple and peanut butter candy flavorings. Nothing but the best for our four legged friends.[attachment=0]deer candy cocktail.jpg
Attachments
deer candy cocktail.jpg
deer candy cocktail.jpg (44.28 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Sounds like an interesting experiment. How many differnt bottles of stuff are you trying???

What are your variables?? Putting them out on trail cams, etc??

Now I am curious!!!!

Keep up posted. Love this kind of stuff.
"You can overdo anything."

Next

Return to General Discussions