Hunting Journals

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DanburyBowhunter

Re: Hunting Journals

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am

I started a journal from the beginning in a regular 3 subject sprial bound notebook. I keep it in a folder with maps of hunting areas. I also mark up the maps with scouting info or with observations while hunting.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm

I HAVE SIGNED ON TO Pro Hunters Journal AND I HAVE LIKED WHAT I HAVE SEEN. THE MAPS AND THE PHOTO UP LOADS ARE A NICE FEATURE AND ARE EASY TO USE

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:54 pm

I do not keep a journal. I keep all info about hunting in a three ring, zippered binder. All permissions slips, contact info for all hunt propreties, google earth photos, trip ticks for different properties, short notes at to what is on site or what is needed on site. nearest check in stations, food places. gas. Contact info for anyone else who may hunt that property. Any restrictions as to dates, weapons, or game. I have every sighting of wild boar in south eastern Ohio (and it ain't much) over the last 5 years. I keep info, not a running diolog.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:38 am

I have kept a journal of every deer hunt that I have been on since I started hunting deer in 76. I devised a sheet that includes all the data that I could think of set up in the form of a check list. Date, time hunted, stand location, weather conditions, to include sunny, cloudy, partly, rain (heavy vs light), wind speed and direction, air temps, corn/soybeans up or down, snow depth, snow in woods?, and a section that I can write notes and memories of not only my hunt, but anyone with me that day. I also drew an outline of my farm on the page so that I can mark locations of kills and sightings for that day.
When I read my notes, I can actually remember and visualize the hunt...it's great. Last year I loaned it to a friend with whom I hunt frequently. He thought it was great to go back and remember our hunts together. It amazes me that I have kept up with it all these years.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 pm

I used to keep extensive notes on hunts years ago. Got away from it for awhile. one day picked up published book journal, used it for a few years and kind of got away from it too. Now I just buy those calenders with the big spaces, and put in the things that happen and things important to me. It's quick and easy. I used to have a hard time finding time to fill in the big journal.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

loweman

Postby loweman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am

This is a great topic. I just put in my 60th year of hunting and fishing. Have kept a journal for 50 of them. If nothing else I read it and remember all the times hunting with my Dad and Sons. There is nothing better than to remember all the best times.

Previous

Return to Best Practices