Trackable Arrow Survey

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Arrow Hunter

Trackable Arrow Survey

Postby Arrow Hunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 am

Hello I am in a High School Engineering class this year and am trying to develope an arrow that is able to be tracked while hunting. Before I begin the designing process for this project I must have 300 plus surveys completed. If you could help me in reaching this goal by completing the survey below that would be great. Thanks, Arrow Hunter.

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/?s=OJNEIL_ec4c020

DBogie59

Re: Trackable Arrow Survey

Postby DBogie59 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 pm

I completed your survey but there's no way I would pay $100 for a way to find an arrow.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:21 pm

DBogie59 wrote:I completed your survey but there's no way I would pay $100 for a way to find an arrow.

For a way to find every arrow with the deer attached, would be worth the cost. But if you are to make a better tracking insert, make it trackable with my hand held GPS reciever. One less piece of extra gear, and will keep me off of someone else's land while tracking at night or day. :geek:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Mcarter1463

Postby Mcarter1463 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:18 am

As I stated in the survey, This device should be extremely lightweight, and very cost effective, A typical arrow costs about 20 dollars with broadhead attached. Assuming a person loses 3 per season, this device should pay for itself in 1.5 seasons.

I like the added idea of it being compatible with a GPS.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 am

I wouldnt pay $100 either. I would use that that to buy at least 4 new arrows, and maybe a case of beer. But, I never have lost an arrow, ever. I never knew anyone that has lost up to three arrows in a season either.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Jslotter wrote:I wouldnt pay $100 either. I would use that that to buy at least 4 new arrows, and maybe a case of beer. But, I never have lost an arrow, ever. I never knew anyone that has lost up to three arrows in a season either.

Well, to each his own. I would never spend $100. on scentlok pants (which I saw for sale today) but others will. I would spend $100. to put down every wounded deer faster, more humanely. and to recover all that are recoverable. To be able to get out in front of a deer headed in to forbidden lands, and to put it down, to find that deer that crawled under a fallen log, or hid in dense brush. I have had a few long hard hot sweaty bloodtrails to follow, stinking up the area, full of sweat and briars, tired, hungry, but determined to see it through If I can pinpoint the deers location, for an easy path, and a quick, clean kill, Then that is worth the cost to me. The idea of recovering my deer without stinking up the neighborhood apeals to me. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:07 pm

My arrows tend to pass thru deer Kellory.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Yup. As do mine. In fact, on only one of my bow killsdid the arrow stay in the animal. But then again, I'm very selective about my shots. For me to shoot at a deer with a bow, the shot situation has got to be damn near perfect.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Jslotter wrote:My arrows tend to pass thru deer Kellory.

When I use the crossbow, all my shots pass through, but when I use a bow they do not. Most of my arrows make one hole and stay inside. I am shooting #45 with mechanicals (silver strikes) I could max the bow at #55, but that makes my shots pull to the right. I draw and loose almost as one motion and At #45, it goes where I tell it. As to the tracker paying for itself with saved arrows in 1.5 years, Why? My bow has been with me for 32 years. Good gear can last a lifetime. I will still be hunting 30 years from now, so 1.5 years doesn't matter. I don't care that much about the arrow, but once I loose that arrow, I am obligated to see it through, even if a long bloodtrailing stinks up the area, and screws the rest of my hunt. to me that is ethics. If this tool helps me do that with more surity and speed with less polution of my hunting grounds, that is worth the price to me. I am not hunting for 1 deer, but several. I hunt meat not bone.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 pm

kellory wrote:
Jslotter wrote:My arrows tend to pass thru deer Kellory.

When I use the crossbow, all my shots pass through, but when I use a bow they do not. Most of my arrows make one hole and stay inside. I am shooting #45 with mechanicals (silver strikes) I could max the bow at #55, but that makes my shots pull to the right. I draw and loose almost as one motion and At #45, it goes where I tell it. As to the tracker paying for itself with saved arrows in 1.5 years, Why? My bow has been with me for 32 years. Good gear can last a lifetime. I will still be hunting 30 years from now, so 1.5 years doesn't matter. I don't care that much about the arrow, but once I loose that arrow, I am obligated to see it through, even if a long bloodtrailing stinks up the area, and screws the rest of my hunt. to me that is ethics. If this tool helps me do that with more surity and speed with less polution of my hunting grounds, that is worth the price to me. I am not hunting for 1 deer, but several. I hunt meat not bone.

I dont have the answer for you Kell. But I think this would be a great topic to post and maybe find an answer from some of the bow freaks we have around here.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting