Arrow fligh

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DeerCamp

RE: Arrow fligh

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:42 pm

i dont care for muzzys... you really gotta work with them, thats just one of the things youll have to do with those.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:30 am

i shoot the 2 blade magnus heads and they fly just like my field tips.no problems here either
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:12 am

I agree that most any bow can be tuned to make field tips and broadheads shoot the same.  With a bow that I thought was well tuned (it seemed to shoot perfectly through paper with field tips), broadheads hit about 3 inches high at 20 yards.  My solution was to paper tune it with broadheads instead of field tips.  Once done and sighted properly with broadheads, my field tips hit in the same place at 10, 20, or 30 yards.

My explanation is that the bow really wasn't precisely tuned, and if a bow is not tuned precisely, the effect on the flight of broadheads is greater than for field tips.  The moral of the story for me is to always tune your bow using the broadheads you intend to hunt with and the field tips will "follow."

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Dang, I've only been bowhunting for 3 years, but every year I pulled out an old Mathews vx-pro and some gold tip arrows tipped with muzzy 3 blades, and they shot the same... every year... I just replaced the blades before opening day. Never had a problem with the muzzys' shooting straight... and they killed everything I spied with aplomb.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 am

i now shoot mechanicals, but when i did shoot fixed blades i was shooting the G5's, never had any trouble with them.

striker

Postby striker » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Ok so this thread got my curiosity peeked because I've always had to resight my bow for broadheads before the season. So I talked to a friend from work and he said he never has to change his sights they shoot the same with broadheads. Anyway my broadheads shot three inches lower than field points at twenty yards so I took it to my local archery shop and the guy had it tuned in fifteen minutes. My bow now shoots both exactly the same. So now I have a question. If you can get the broadheads to fly like field tips why use mechanicals?

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:15 pm

ORIGINAL: striker

Ok so this thread got my curiosity peeked because I've always had to resight my bow for broadheads before the season. So I talked to a friend from work and he said he never has to change his sights they shoot the same with broadheads. Anyway my broadheads shot three inches lower than field points at twenty yards so I took it to my local archery shop and the guy had it tuned in fifteen minutes. My bow now shoots both exactly the same. So now I have a question. If you can get the broadheads to fly like field tips why use mechanicals?

Because the mechanicals of today are better designed than the mechanicals of yesterday. With a bow that generates more than 55 fp of kinetic energy penetration on deer is a non issue, shot placement still remains paramount.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting