How's the rut going?

deerslayer333

How's the rut going?

Postby deerslayer333 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Just wondering if anybody has noticed any rutting behavior yet. Any mid-morning or afternoon cruising going on anywhere in Ohio? I shot a doe in urban area last Sat. and she was still producing milk and fawns were still with her. I'm going public land hunting this weekend and I'll post any rutting activity here. All I hunt is micro urban deer management properties and public land so I would like to compare the rutting activity on those lands to others.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Ohio farms

Re: How's the rut going?

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Have been finding scrapes in NE Ohio for the last week. Trail camera and visual sightings made it out to be a big bodied 6 pt. (small rack). We saw him chasing does and freshening the scrapes. Rain the next few days. Will go out Friday. Saw lots of deer last week.
Where is Ohio are you?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

gonehun10

Postby gonehun10 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:18 am

Like OF said start this weekend and hit hard for the next couple weeks. It should start heating up. Went mon. evening but nothing chasing as of then.

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Hey OF. I live in Columbus and hunt around here but I also hunt eastern and southern Ohio.I'm going to Hocking county this weekend and will report anything interesting.Keep in touch.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Great Deerslayer. Keep in touch here.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:19 pm

My buddy just called to tell me what his wife just saw at work. She teaches kindergarden and her and the children witnessed two big bucks fighting outside the classroom. The larger buck got the other one down on the ground after a long struggle and gored it in the right shoulder. They broke off the fight and the gored deer laid down and was bleeding from it's shoulder. The police were called and watched the deer for a while until it limped off into the woods.
I'm sure that all of the kids will have something to talk about at dinner tonight.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Been seeing nice rubs in brown co. But up in muskingum co. been seeing more scrapes and rubs. Really not seen any bucks yet. Good luck to everybody!!
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Nothing happening here in Belmont County. Got tons of pictures of huge bucks during summer but haven't gotten a pic of one of them since early September. They still aren't moving yet but this week coming up should start to get good.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:22 am

Buddy and I hunted last 3 hours of daylight Friday. No response to rattling or a grunt tube, but he had a small racked/big body 8pt milling around and a spike and doe later on. I saw enough squirrels to make a full length coat, but no deer. Even saw two black phase fox squirrels.
Anyone else out?

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 am

Now why can't I ever find any bucks fighting like that in the woods, they must have wanted to learn something that's why they were at school that day lol! Went hunting in Hocking county and saw more hunters than deer. I wasn't able to hunt as hard as I wanted because I injured my knee in Sept. and it still has issues so I stayed home this Sunday morning and will hunt closer to home tonight. I saw some scrapes and rubs and hunted near a rub line but the wind down there was going from west one minute to east the next (and all other directions in between) and right around sunset a large wind storm blew through and about blew me out of the tree. That lasted for about 10 minutes( just enough to make me get down out of the tree) then the rain and wind stopped and the sun came out! The weather was too crazy for me. Just saw one doe by herself all day.

Next

Return to Ohio