other hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JOEL

other hunting

Postby JOEL » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:25 am

We all love deer hunting here but i was  wondering about other critters.as i sat outside today daydreaming i was looking foreword to September.thats the beginning of small game round here.I am really looking forward to walking/stalking for squirrels with the 22 also we can do some resident goose .I'm dying to get out and tromp the fields with my rifle/shotgun and get back into it.Ya can only fling so many arrows and shoot paper at the range[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

RNC

RE: other hunting

Postby RNC » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 am

We started turkey hunting this spring to bridge the gap between deer seasons. Got to say I wish I had gotten into it a long time ago. It was a huge learning curve this spring and between the 4 of us we had 8 tags (1 each in Wis and MN). Three of us got our first birds while hunting in WIS. I also missed a nice tom at about my max range in MN. We all saw birds and are more then willing to do it again. The best part is I got one of my best friends to become a hunter. After getting hooked on turkey hes thinking about getting a bow and trying deer hunting.

Would love to take my bow after some elk also.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 am

Used to hunt pheasant, quail, goose, duck.  But now mainly turkey and deer.  Trying to work up some covey habitat for quail, and we've got some small coveys, but nothing I'd go shooting up. 

Went hog hunting in Texas this past February, that was really enjoyable.  Plus the eating is pretty good.  I hope to do that again after deer season and before Spring greenup.  Doesn't cost too much and less than a day away.

Someday I'd like to hunt elk and caribou, and before I die I'd like to go after a mountain sheep.  But those will have to wait.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:46 am

Hog on occassion.

I'd really like to hunt coyote's one time.

Turkey may be on the horizon soon.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Squirrels, Doves and Coyotes.  Have killed coons and turkeys but not much on hunting them....too lazy right now.
Would love to go hog hunting with bow or I have been once on horseback with cur dogs (which was a blast)  we just don't have very many hogs here.  (Which I am very ok with considering what they do to the deer)
Lived 20 minutes outside of Stuttgardt AR for 2 years and worked with a professional guide at the Tyson facility.  Never did get tempted to duck hunt...

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Here in Michigan, we have lots to offer. I have hunted, deer, small game, ducks, goose, coyotes, hogs, bobcat, turkey, and Im trying to get a tag for a bear or a elk here as well. I have been lucky to put a tag on most of these animals Ive named off. I think next to deer hunting my favorit would be turkey, theres nothing like waking up in the morning and hearing those gobbles. I really would recomend to everyone to give that a try.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:49 pm

if illinois got it ive hunted at one time or another. any more its primarily deer and turkey and alot of honey do's in between. managed to bag a few big ole bushey tails sat. felt great just be out in the woods! plan to put a hurtin on some coyotes this winter.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm

just kinda gave up on bird and upland game years ago... I don't know why... I miss it, and I really miss eating pheasant and goose... they were always my favorite game to eat. My pops doesn't have good eyes anymore and we really just focus on crappie after dear season is over.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:39 am

I've tryed turkey hunting afew times. I was amazed at there eye site and also amused at how quickly they forget what they were just doing. Here in Michigan we are starting to have a feral swine problem I'd love to arrow one and put some bacon in the freezer.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:39 am

turkeys rule the roost @ my house ive deer hunted forever but when its time its nothin but birds spring or fall & for all you beginners & vets in the turkey woods check out this website & sign up for the free walnut box call they are mighty fine pieces of work & the birds love to hear them chirp
                                     hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com
   buy a call / sign up for a free one you wont regret it we just came out with a new fall line of mouth calls & they sound awsome cant wait to talk to a bird with one this fall if yall rookies havent tried fall turkey hunting yet you need to its a bunch of fun here in tn are deer season stops for a week in nov& a week in dec for the fall turkey season so it doesnt effect my deer season much
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Next

Return to General Discussions