Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

4khorn

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

Postby 4khorn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:05 pm

[quote="jonny5buck"]
Im not going to get all righteous here,but im hereing guys beat the same drum over and over again as far the heat...i think they are wrong...period....remember that deer live outside ??? quote]

There a lot of other factors as to why I have not been getting out very much so far besides the heat. I only have one property to hunt so I have been doing my best to put as little pressure as I can on the deer for the first few weeks. That means playing the wind better than I have in the past and only hunting when I feel the conditions are ideal. Secondly I'm not hunting a lot to keep the Mrs. happy. I will be hitting the woods hard starting at the end of October and she is a little more understanding if I make time for her in the early season. Finally, I butcher my own deer and like to let them hang over night. Unless the temps will be in the 40's or below at night I don't feel comfortable letting them hang. I have let shots go by in the past because I thought it would be too warm at night for the meat and right now I don't want to be pressuring deer if I don't have full intent to kill if the opportunity comes up. I realize its probably a little anal, but we all do things our own way. I will be getting out tomorrow evening and hopefully will be able to share some good news. Good luck to all of you guys this weekend too!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

stu27

Postby stu27 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Anyone have any luck over the weekend? I was only able to get out Friday after work.......in the crazy wind. I did see a pretty nice doe and a little spike but that was it. Curious to see if anyone was seeing any movement Sunday morning and Sunday evening now that the wind layed down some.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:41 pm

I didn't make it out Saturday or Sunday but I did get out Monday afternoon. I made the mile walk to the back corner of the timber because the wind was perfect for it. I placed this stand mostly as an observation stand and so I could hunt with a west wind. None of my other stands are really that great for it. I didn't expect too much but the incoming rain had the deer on the move. I saw 2 does at 5pm and had a doe and fawn come in a little after 5:30. They came well within bow range but I have limited shooting lanes from this stand and they never gave a clear shot. I was sort of glad they made the decision for me because I always question whether to shoot a doe when a fawn is in tow. I know the fawn is old enough to get by on its own and that the doe will probably give it the boot in another few weeks, but I still feel hesitation about taking the shot. I was planning to go out again Wednesday evening but the forcast has changed and the call is for rain and high winds. I'm heading to Oklahoma on Friday for a hog hunt. I have never been hog hunting before so I don't know what to expect. Anyone ever done a hog hunt? Any quick tips would be appreciated. I will be hunting with a rifle. No matter the outcome it should be an experience. I'll be sure to post how it goes. Good luck this week!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:43 pm

heat wind and standing corn have not seemed to dampen my season so far. Ive been hunting the same public land for about 12 yrs and have recently adopted a low impact philosophy. I know the land well enough to stay out pre season. and the 1st couple of times out I take advantage of the ground cover and still hunt/scout. If i see deer sign I look closer. If not I move to another area. I even managed to get within bow range of deer on my first two hunts. This has been a new and totally intense experiece for me. I ended up putting up a tree stand in the area and have had a total of 4 deer within bow range on 3 hunts. One was a decent 2.5 yr old 8 pt. During my first sit, I noticed there were a lot of acorns hitting the ground in an area about 60 yards away. On the second sit there were deer visiting the same area where the acorns were falling on 2 different occasions. That second sit I ended up drawing on a 6 pt but he didnt take those final few steps into a shooting lane. The third sit (Sat Oct 15) I set up on this oak tree with all the acorns falling. I had a spike buck visit this tree. I drew on him, but no shot opportunity. About 20 min later the 8 pointer came to this same tree, but still no shot. That changed at about 6pm on that 3rd sit when 2 does and a fawn came in to this tree, and I managed to arrow one of the adults. I am pretty stoked. It is more often than not that I don't get a deer until shotgun season (if I even get one at all).

It seems like they have been on the oak ridges eating acorns in the areas I have been seeing good sign. There are 3 places that I have encountered the deer. I am leaving this acorn tree alone to let it cool off and going to check out one of the other ridges (hopefully west wind).

good luck all - Ill check back in with a hunt by hunt report.
Semper Fidelis!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:02 am

This weekend's cool temps should be good for deer activity.

A few days ago, I had a shot at a real nice buck in the evening.

I also saw a doe in the heavy brush, and several young bucks that have been seeking the does out.

I've also found alot of scrapes and rubs, it's time to put out some active scrape scent.

Good luck hunting!
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 am

I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like, but I've had good outings so far. My small patch of timber is still surrounded by corn, so I'll be excited when the farmers get it all picked. Opening night I had a 4 point half-rack come in, but I let him walk. The next morning i sat the same stand and shot a doe about 9:45 am. (pic posted in the photo corner page) The following weekend I hunted on the ground in a makeshift ground blind with my wife in an attempt to get her first chance at a deer, but nothing showed up. I got out once last weekend for an evening hunt and saw mr. Half-rack again. he was posted up about 55 yards out. I tried to bleat at him to get him to come in closer so I could get a better look at his head and try to figure out what's up with the missing antler. He got really nervous and took off after a few minutes. I was baffled, being that he was upwind and I hadn't moved at all, until the giant coyote showed up on his trail... I tried to get drawn and take a hail mary shot at the 'yote, but he didn't hold still long enough for me to loose an arrow. I'm really looking forward to this weekend with the cooler temps and the front that just moved through... should be seeing some chasing going on...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

It's the 27th day of October, and tonight when I go to the stand, will be my 27th time in stand. I have yet to have a shot at anything other than a yearling or a button. It's a little frustrating and I can't explain it. Still quite a bit of corn around me, that may be a factor. Been kinda warm but it usually is the first of October. I have only seen one decent buck all year and that was opening day, no shot opportunity. Haven't had a mature doe within 70 yards. Hope something changes pretty soon.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:28 pm

The corn being up is a big factor...dont give up Big Horse....i hunt several different properties a few are private and one or 2 parks ...just to keep from ''overhunting'' a spot...it really keeps me motivated and positive....just found several fresh scrapes yesterday and some rubs...i went out to a doe spot in hopes of getting my first deer of the season...i have seen several than nothing at all on a few hunts.....than this afternoon a ten point walked out and stood at 15 yds....i drilled him ...he's hanging in the garage and the forecast is calling for frost tonight......i seen tWo more.. ''much bigger'' bucks on the way home ....mine is a 2yr old but i am satisfied with that and had no guilt affixing my tag...im very very happy...first deer this yr and its a buck.

The rut is starting to ramp up...i would suggest a little rattling and grunting...nothing to aggressive right now...good luck everyone-JON~

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:59 am

Last night was my 27th sit in stand this year, and I finally got a shot at a mature deer.

A yearling came bouncing thru the timber, and pulling mom in tow. As little bambino was passing behind me the doe came inside the 20 yard range and I slowly drew my bow. She sensed something and turned 180 and stopped. Of course she stopped exactly where the only tree between us was perfectly covering her vitals. And she stood there. And she stood there. And my arm started to shake from holding the draw. And finally I slowly leaned as far as I could to expose a small route to the kill zone and released my arrow. And the mystical flight of the arrow glanced off the side of the tree and the arrow flew to destinations unknown. I never saw where it went. Never located it again. And it had a lumenok on it. Baffling. I think it might have flown out into the standing corn field behind me.

The doe jumped and ran about 50 yards down into the timber behind some brush. The yearling jumped and ran the other way behind and passed me.

I slowly retrieved another arrow from my quiver, and nocked it on my bow. Bambino had no clue what just happened and returned to browsing directly behind me about 10 yards. The doe worked up the hillside and then started circling back towards me, searching for bambino. She stalled at what I guessed to be just over 30 yards. There was one small opening in the brush about 2 yrds ahead of her. Finally she stated to take steps forward and I again came to full draw. As she entered the gap in the brush I touched off arrow number two and watched as it skirted just under her belly and stuck in the ground. Shit! I just missed again.

She turned and ran back out to about 50 behind the brush. Bambino was still clueless. She stood behind me and continued to browse. While she walked around nibbling on plants I nocked arrow number 3 and the yearling entered my desired shooting lane at just 10 yards from me. I could see mom in the distance, and she was starting to approach, still searching for bambino. Mom was now on my bottom side bordering the corn field and reluctantly closing the distance and periodically stomping her feet. I knew this wasn't going to last much longer.

Mom finally entered an opening. An opening I had walked off just the evening before and knew to be 30 yards. I came to full draw once again, put my 30 yard pin in the pocket, and released. BAM!

Just like that, the doe lowered while turning and had to almost be rubbing her belly on the ground, ducking the arrow that just barely passed thru the crook between her neck and her shoulder blades. Miss number 3!

Frustrated I knocked arrow number 4 and watched as bambino once again entering my preferred shooting lane. Broadside, bambino stood at a mere 10 yards and still totally clueless as to what has just transpired or where I was located. As tempting as it was, it wasn't what I wanted. Mom had just bested me three times, I would not reward her by taking her baby. I returned my bow to the bow hanger, and watched as bambino leisurely walked back to mom. The two circled wide and out of range this time, as I sit in my tree and reflected on my failures.

Who said hunting was easy?

Today the winds are finally right for the stand I have killed my last three bucks out of. I haven't hunted it yet this year. I think I know where I'll be headed this afternoon.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:00 am

We too have seen alot of doe's jumping the string this year.

I think the coyotes are chasing the deer alot more this year, I'm guessing it's because of the droughty weather.

I rattled in a coyote yesterday afternoon... never had that happen before. I didn't get a shot, maybe next time.

I've seen alot of scrape activity recently, so the bucks are getting interested.

Just keep the faith, remember this is IL.. you never know what will walk by during the rut.

Good luck fellas.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois