not a photo but here is my vide of a young doe I shot!!

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
beaverman05

not a photo but here is my vide of a young doe I shot!!

Postby beaverman05 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:27 am

check out the scrape on the trail too... you'll probally want to fast forward to about 2:25!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ARfVUM6II

bobow

Re: not a photo but here is my vide of a young doe I shot!!

Postby bobow » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Cool video. Thanks for sharing
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

scotman

Postby scotman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 am

In the video description you said the land owner did not want you to shoot the big does? I hope you have permission next year to hunt that land becuase that was an adult doe you harvested.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:46 am

I'd agree that the deer is an adult, if by which you mean able to breed. Any deer is an adult after 1 year. It is obviously a young deer though, probably only 1 1/2 yrs old. Looked to me to definitely not be a mature doe...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:08 pm

nope not an mature deer by any means... Tasting great though. The mature does in this area are at least 2 times the size of this one!! I'm hoping they will bring in some bucks now

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:29 am

Deebz wrote:I'd agree that the deer is an adult, if by which you mean able to breed. Any deer is an adult after 1 year. It is obviously a young deer though, probably only 1 1/2 yrs old. Looked to me to definitely not be a mature doe...

The waist line is the telling factor. That is about a 2 1/2 year old deer.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:33 am

Beaverman's comment made me think of something... remember that deer from different parts of the country grow at different rates and attain different sizes.

Case in point, I've shot young does with bodies MUCH larger than some of those giant racked bucks I've seen taken in Texas...

Scotman, I'd give you 2 1/2 yrs. old. I guess I think of "mature" for does along the same lines as I do for bucks... at least 3 1/2 minimum to be mature. Deer just seem to really increase in body size that 3rd and 4th year... similar to that teenage growth spurt we see in people...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:01 pm

@Deebz Yea if you look at the video closely, the doe still has that elongated leg "look" and the head does not quite match the body yet. I would meet you in the middle and say she is not fully mature yet but borderline.

@Beaverman Great harvest video by the way, nice clean shot, and as long as the landowner is happy with it then that is all that matters.

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks a lot scotman! My first harvest on camera, hopefully many more to come!

Ok guys ill let ya in on a secret. I hunt up north in wisconsin! This is only a 1 1/2 year old! The older does are 3 times bigger than this youngster! Like I said though... great eating

Return to Photo Corner