Rutting Progress Journal 2011

bouhntr

Re: Rutting Progress Journal 2011

Postby bouhntr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:16 pm

went out sun afternoon around 3 to a stand I have'nt hunted since the 28th.since then the corn has been taken down. I sat til dark and didn't see anything. I pulled my card from the trail cam and checked it when I got home and only had 5 pics on it since the 28th of sept. one pic was a nice ten but it was at 12;30 in the morning.today I went to mauston and saw 1 scrape and two rubs. i sat til dark and didn't see deer. My buddy sat about 200 yards away and saw a buck and two does.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 pm

Tonight (10-25) I saw the first true rutting action of the year in our area! I was driving home from class and was just about to the farm when I saw a group of 5 deer only 75 yards off the road and only 150 from our farm buildings! There was a doe that was apparently very hot along with 3 1.5 year old bucks and a 3.5 year old buck. The 3.5 year old was chasing off the little bucks and was really getting into it. He was breathing super heavy and it was very awesome to see! I managed to even get some video of this amazing encounter! Eventually the little bucks ran off towards the nearest woods (500 yards away) and the doe ran that way too with the big boy in tow. The disappointing part is that this buck was on our hit list, but is now off of it because in the last week he broke off both of his G-2's... He was a dandy 140 class 10 pointer, but now I don't think I could bring myself to shoot him with those 2 tines completely broken off. He'll be a giant 10 next year!
They are feeling it now!
Kyle

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:31 am

Has anyone experienced any success rattling or grunting bucks in?

Are bucks responding to "blind calls" rattling where you hunt?
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am

went out yesterday afternoon, it was nice out when I got there around 230 but by 4 it was cloudy, temp dropped about 15 degrees, and the wind blew around 20 miles an hour. so needless to say the deer wern't moving. I didn't see anything. I tried grunting, rattling, doe bleats with no luck at all. I think it was just to windy for any movement.

beaverman05

Postby beaverman05 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:17 pm

I rattled in a 2 1/2 year this morning... he came in about 3 min after my short rattling sequence. He came in hot and once he got to about 50 yards he stop and circled down wind of me. Then suddenly a gust of wind went right to him and it stoped him cold! he double check the wind and trotted up the hill! I wasn't going to shoot him but it was still exciting to see. I just whish he didn't come behind me cause i didn't have time to get my camera on him to get some footage of him before he was gone!!! oh well.
Also, saw two does about a hour after the buck. One was trotting through the woods, it didn't look like she was spooked or anything so i was hoping there was a buck following but no luck. SOON!!!!!

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:04 pm

It sounds like people are seeing the very begining of the rut. My question is how long does the rut normally last?

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Bucks were moving in both Marquette and Waushara County this afternoon...and they were moving and feeding tonight while shinning too. Get after them fellas!
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

wi_hunter

Postby wi_hunter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 am

Sat the afternoon oct 27th rattled in four year and half year old bucks. All came within 20yds of me and all came within 15 minutes. Afternoon sit Friday oct 28th saw another young buck walking away from so I grunted snort wheezed then rattled. He turned right around as soon as I hit the horns and came within 10yds. Morning of the 29th the guy on the neighboring land decided to cut trees at the fence line at 7am. So I got down to say hi and he informed me his brother has shot two bucks and had shouts wounded they were going to look for later. I don't know what to do about that. Saturday evening went back to same stand and didn't see a thing. Went back bc we checked trail cam and had a 150 class ten there. Going back out this afternoon to see what happens.
Patience is the key to success.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 am

Meules37 wrote:It sounds like people are seeing the very begining of the rut. My question is how long does the rut normally last?

Every year is different. Usually, I see the peak rut start right around, or after Halloween, and go into Late November, Early December.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

windsor

Postby windsor » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Went out saturday night, didnt see or hear a thing. Went out this morning, again didnt see or hear a thing, BUT, as I was heading out, found 3 very fresh rubs and fresh scrapes. Figured I hit the spot at the wrong time, the rubs were heading to the feeding area, most likely an afternoon spot.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin