Just got busted by a big buck

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
rustj

Just got busted by a big buck

Postby rustj » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:52 pm

So here is the story I was climbing into my stand and half way up I look out and see a 140 class buck looking at me. He was bedded down with a doe and stared for a bit then hopped away. So I climbed into the stand and 30 minutes later he came back and was looking at me while I was moving my back pack. I didn't see him until he jumped away again. So here is the question, is my spot done for, should I leave it alone for awhile or does it not matter. I am just looking for a little insight. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rustj on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woods Walker

Re: Just got busted by a big buck

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:57 pm

If you mean for hunting that 140 buck, I'd say move your stand. You may very well want to stay in the area, because the reason why he was in that area was the does, so he may be back when another one is in estrous. But when he does come back you can pretty well count on the fact that he will be looking in that tree. He's been educated. And depending on the scenario, you may even want to try a ground blind. If no one else uses one on that ground, then that may be an advantage.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rustj

Postby rustj » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for the response.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:08 pm

I agree with WW to an extent but let's look at at from another angle.

A good stand is a good stand because of three factors. They are location, location and location. If this stand is on top of a bedding area, it's going to see more bucks. Is this particular buck educated? Probably, but it doesn't sound as if you really spooked him badly. Like WW said, he'll be looking for you but he'll still be using the general area. You may still catch him unaware from another stand. Maybe you should reserve the stand in question for mornings but I wouldn't necessarily abandon it.

Busting a big buck from a good stand is heartbreaking but it's not the end of the world. I'm living proof of that! My dad used to always say that if you caught a big fish from a particular hole, that you'd be likely to catch another there in a few days and he was proven right on more than one occasion. I tend to think good deer stands are much the same.

Now, if you want to talk about ruined stands we need to introduce the educated old doe into the equation. She will hang around and screw up your hunting for an entire season, whereas a mature buck will simply avoid you and let another buck into the area.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:09 am

Getting busted because of movement is always frustrating, especially with a nice buck. As far as the stand still being productive, the advice given above is very good. I would however, be more careful about movement. If I had just seen a 150 class buck, or doe for that matter, I would be frozen still for a long, long time. Movement will get you busted as quickly as your scent. Good luck with that stand and I hope he comes back for you.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rustj

Postby rustj » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks guys. a lot of valuable info here.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:42 am

If you have other stands, sit them for awhile. If he just jumped away and didn't make a big fuss, then he will be back. Go back next week, and that buck won't think twice if you stay still. Deer encounter 100 things a day that cause them to get jumpy and even run away. If they retained and acted on all of those memories they would be too scared to even move.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Return to Best Practices