Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

buckwild

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2011

Postby buckwild » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:05 am

Congrats Johhny5buck. cant wait to read the details and see the pic. did you get him on one of the private parcels or public land?

Keep the faith Big Horse - I enter every hunt hoping that it will be one to remember - mission accomplished!

EatDeer - interesting take on the coyotes. I have seen quite a few nervous deer this year, and havent been able to put a finger on "why". I think you are probably right.

Gotta work today (sat). Going out tomorrow afternoon. Been hearing stories in the paper of bucks crashing through windows. One in Rockford and one in Janesville. Theyre gettting squirrelly!

Good luck all!
Semper Fidelis!

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Well I had said that I would let you guys know how the hog hunt went but have been putting off on the account of how awful it was. Only one hunter in our party even saw a hog. We had trouble finding the place. The guide tried to give us directions. They went something like this: "take a right on texanna road, go til you come to a fork and go left, then cross a bridge and look for a crane, turn right, look for a tan building, can't miss it". Well we missed it. LOL. We hunted the first night and the one hunter saw a hog. The next day we did spot and stalk and drives with no sightings. We started getting suspicious that something wasn't quite right. We kept catching the guide in little lies here and there. 80 hogs on the place yet we can't lay eyes on one. Turns out they were trying to bleed the property dry because they were getting out of the business. So that we didn't leave empty handed one hunter requested that we be allowed to shoot one of the elk that roamed the place. I refused to shoot due to my feelings on hunting high fence. Hogs is one thing but an elk, might as well be hunting in the zoo. I was happy to take a little of the meat however. On the way home we got pulled over and got a hefty ticket. Just a cherry on top of the horrible hunting trip sundae. Looking back it will be full of good memories. I was able to bond with by brother in law and get to know a few other hunters. I was definately ready to get home and back in the deer woods though.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Congrats Johnny 5, would love to see a pic!. Im sure he was a beautiful buck!.

I went out 3 different times this week but didn't brind home any venison. I watched a 7 pt rake a tree on Wed night. Had a little buck and 3 does come through right at dark on Thursday night, and I got skunked this morning (Sat). I did have a bit of good fortune when I got home however. I had been looking around on craigslist for a little freezer for the garage and was interested in one for 80 bucks. When I got home from the hunt today there was an auction going on across the street and sitting there on the lawn was a freezer. I walked over, got my number, and snagged it for 25 bucks. I got the elk meat in there now and need to get some venison in there soon. Good luck out there!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Saw nothing Friday morning but about 5:30 PM today something spooked behind me that was close. It sounded big but did not get a chance to see it.

It was too calm and even though it was upwind I think my chair creaked that was hardly audible but whatever it was sure heard it. Oh well...
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 pm

Where are all the other Illinois hunters? I know there are more of you out there. Share your experiences!!

I had a horrible hunt tonight. Walking to the stand I came up to the spot where I had my trail cam set up. It was gone. Could not believe it. I just checked it 5 days ago and swapped cards. I've had it in the spot for 2 years and never had any problems. I'm betting a trespasser got caught redhanded and decided to dispose of the evidence. So after that I hardly felt like hunting, but I thought maybe one bad thing would be cancelled out by a good thing, a buck maybe... So I finished the trip to the stand and got settled in. So much for anything good happening. I saw 1 fawn jumping around through the woods about 100 yards out. I have a week of vacation starting next week and I was super pumped, but after today I am completely discouraged.

Luke

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:44 pm

4khorn wrote:Where are all the other Illinois hunters? I know there are more of you out there. Share your experiences!!

I had a horrible hunt tonight. Walking to the stand I came up to the spot where I had my trail cam set up. It was gone. Could not believe it. I just checked it 5 days ago and swapped cards. I've had it in the spot for 2 years and never had any problems. I'm betting a trespasser got caught redhanded and decided to dispose of the evidence. So after that I hardly felt like hunting, but I thought maybe one bad thing would be cancelled out by a good thing, a buck maybe... So I finished the trip to the stand and got settled in. So much for anything good happening. I saw 1 fawn jumping around through the woods about 100 yards out. I have a week of vacation starting next week and I was super pumped, but after today I am completely discouraged.

I am sorry to hear of the theft. I think we should be able to shoot anyone caught stealing, simple as that. Problem is, too much paperwork if you catch them in the act. :o
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Tuesday night I had a nice big doe and two buttons come in just after sunset. They messed around 50-60 yards out and light was fading fast. At last legal light, she turns and walks right in front of me at 20 yrds. I come to full draw and... I can't see her. Too dark. I can't even see my pins. I had to let her walk.

Last night, I saw nothing.

Front moving thru today. Raining and windy, I hope to go after work if it's not absolutely pouring. With a little luck the rain will be ending and the deer will be moving.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Good start to my vacation last night and this morning. It is apparent that the rut is on the verge of busting loose if it has not already. Saw a little buck cruising all over the place last night and had a couple of bucks pushing some does around all morning. In all I have had 7 deer in bow range the last 2 sits. Why couldn't they be a deer other than fawn or immature buck? In any event it should be a great 9 days of action. Maybe I will finally realize my dream of that first book buck!

Luke

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:39 pm

I was out this morning (Sat) and around 0830 I saw a spike come through and maybe 20 minutes later 3 more buck were cruising through. One was a 4 pt; one 6 & the big one was 10 pt maybe more. Nothing came within 40 yards to offer a shot.

I am not seeing but one doe this year which is a bummer. But that is the life of a really small property that is a travel corridor at best.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:16 pm

A travel corridor sounds like a good place to be this time of year. I bet that big buck got your heart a pumping. Keep at em'

Luke

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois