arrow rests ????

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bckklr

RE: arrow rests ????

Postby bckklr » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 am

nx guys 4 all the advice i went with a quality archery design rest it is a drop away & it contains the arrow @ any angle with no fletching contact what so ever i also went with the carbon xpres max hunter (weight forward) with the blazer vanes & trophy ridge sights now its time to decide on some broadheads any suggestions
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:37 am

I was going to change to a drop-away rest. After I researched the pro's and con's for hunting purposes, I've decided to keep my WB. I have seen a vid where the archer was sinking 100 yard bullseyes when useing a WB rest. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:24 am

I shoot a DXTwith a Trophy Taker and love it.  Works well for me.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:41 am

I have a Trophy Ridge drop Zone on a Ben Pearson TX-4 and a DMI Dropaway on my Parker phoenix Ez-Draw . Both are excellent rests!

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:43 pm

I use spitfire mechanical broadheads, I put down a few with them never had a problem and I have shot them out to 80 yds with field point accuracy, they have no rubber band or O-rings either.  I know some folks who shoot the Rage 3 blade mechanicals and love them.  For a fixed blade I would probably go with the Crimson Talon since they have a helical blade and help the arrow to spin instead of vane on a straight plane.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:20 pm

I've never had a problem with muzzy, but I got a lot of buddies that tried the rage last year and I didn't hear anything but good stuff

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:30 am

muzzy 3 blade cant be beat.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 am

i used to use the whisker biscuit, just changed to a drop away this summer. the whisker biscuit is great, i pretty much switched to the drop away just to try it. i have a trophy taker full containment model, trophy taker drop away reliability with the added benefit of a full containment cage so teh arrow wont fall off. it works great, i have no complaints. i used it for turkey hunting this spring out of a ground blind, everything worked flawlessly, got my bird. the only down side to a drop away, assuming you have a model with a containment cage of some kind, is that it is mechanical. nothing can beat the simple reliability of something like a whisker biscuit. but with a good quality drop away, there shouldnt be too many issues with it failing in the field. jsut watch out in snowy or rainy weather that the rest doesnt freeze or stick.

as far as FOC arrows go, i have some maxima 350's. a major part of carbon express arrows with the FOC design is also the fact that the tail end of those arrows are stiffer than the front (i believe that is how they are built anyway), so its not just the FOC, its the whole package that makes a good arrow. with that said, i used to shoot easton axis arrows, and besides the fact that the maximas are lighter and thus fly much flatter, they did a better job with my set up guiding broadheads. if you shoot mechanicals, there really is no real benefit to the FOC arrows. if you go with maximas for example, the best part there is the light weight. if you go with something heavier and still FOC design, the only real difference you will see is shooting a fixed blade broadhead. out of my set up, the maximas with a fixed blade fly just like my field tips. i did shoot G5 montecs, from what i have read those are very good quality broad heads to begin with, so that always helps, and i like them. i now shoot rage mechanicals, so i dont have any issues with tuning up with a fixed blade, so the FOC design isnt of as much benefit to me. but no matter what broad heads you shoot, the maximas and all the carbon express arrows are good quality arrows. i also have some carbon express rebels, shoot great, just as good as the maximas but much cheaper. they are heavier, but shoot just as good of groups. i only pay the extra money for the maximas so i can shoot a lighter, flatter flying arrow. the rebels and terminator arrows by carbon express are cheaper and of just the same great quality. i would not hesitate to hunt with those arrows. in fact, i shot my turkey this spring with the rebel arrows.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:06 am

as far broadheads go, as of last year i was using G5 montecs, great broadheads, you should get great accuracy from them using your set up. i also use two blade rage mechanicals. identical flight to field points, i shoot out to 70 yards. i also use maximas with blazer vanes and a drop away rest. thunderheads and muzzys are always good, solid pieces of equipment.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:13 am

thanks fellers for all the feed back i have set up my new dxt & it is bad a*$ i put trophy ridge sights quality archery design rest maxima 350s ive shot 100 grain muzzy heads for the last 10 years & ill probably keep on for another 10 although i have been scopin out some rage heads ,one year of those 10 i switched to nap spitfires but i didnt like them & that makes me hesitant on the rage still have a while before season guess ill decide when it gets closer
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting