What is Fair Chase to You?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
vambo991

RE: What is Fair Chase to You?

Postby vambo991 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm

I'm with woodswalker and others in this post... if the deer really doesn't have an honest chance in hell of avoiding you... then it aint fair

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:03 pm

But, if you want to put meat on the table... and you aren't bothering me... then fire away.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Gee do ya know what I am gonna post..All legal means of hunting are "fair chase" which I still feel is a phrase hunters use to appease the anti crowd... But as not to make everybody cry, I will end my post...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:56 am

Shaman - I loved your response about not shooting the big boy because it would always remind you. I can't take pride in a trophy that you had to break the rules to obtain. I remember years back when a country star got in trouble and fined for shooting a black bear with his bow. The bear was in a pen or sorts.

Fair chase to me is when it is just you against the animal, but a trophy is not trophy if you can't explain it openly to your 3 year old.
From those who much is given, much is expected

rtf9769

Postby rtf9769 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:16 pm

I always carry my 30.06 during gun season.

Jph, that seems like a unusuall choice of caliber..Was in a older gun handed down to you from a father or grand dad in the war?

Huge Shell massive kick..loud as hell..

I thought rifle hunters where stuc on the 243, 250, or 30/30 type..or even a 22.250

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:45 pm

A 30.06 is probably one of the most common calibers for rifle hunting. The .243 is probably on the small end of things. I'm not sure that a 22-250 is legal in all state. I have a .308 and love it[:D]. I've thought about upgrading to a .300 WSM[:-], but it is more of a wish list. I've always felt that you use the most lethal method available.

I've heard great debates about to bait or not to bait. We bait. I think that it is ethical to do so. I don't think it will increase your odds of getting a big buck. They won't come in during daylight. At least not during the rut. The game camera proves that.
From those who much is given, much is expected

rtf9769

Postby rtf9769 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:09 am

A 30.06 is probably one of the most common calibers for rifle hunting. The .243 is probably on the small end of things. I'm not sure that a 22-250 is legal in all state. I have a .308 and love it. I've thought about upgrading to a .300 WSM, but it is more of a wish list. I've always felt that you use the most lethal method available.

Don't know where you hunt..But you did arouse my curiosity on the point..To where i aksed the Gunsmith at the local Gander mountain as well..And he as well stands by the following..

30.06 is way to expensive..Way to much overkill, A moderate kick/loudness, allows everyone in the county to hear where you shot that buck from..And is more for bear-elk, larger game. Keep in mind we both have been hunting for over 30 years.

I've heard great debates about to bait or not to bait. We bait. I think that it is ethical to do so. I don't think it will increase your odds of getting a big buck. They won't come in during daylight. At least not during the rut. The game camera proves that.

1. Big Bucks do come out to play at the daytime:) Its called  a pervious full moon..And they do come out during the day during a rut. thats a fact jack:)

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:13 pm

30.06 is probably the most used round for hunting you can  buy the shells anywhere and everywhere.Its been the standard for a 100 yrs
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:42 pm

the "06" is probably one of the most used rounds for deer hunting..I dont think it's to large, as I use a .300 ultramag on deer and elk with very little damage to the animal I killed...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:05 pm

lol...Almost everyone i know that deer hunt has a 30.06 and it is definetly the most commonly used deer rifle used out of the many people i hunt with. Too expensive? Too loud? Should be used for bear or elk?.....[8|]

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions