Deer ribs????

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
mag30079

Deer ribs????

Postby mag30079 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:01 am

I was talking to guy afew days ago and he mentioned deer ribs and that they were the best ribs he's ever had. I was a bit puzzled. I've never heard of useing the ribs, but made think about trying them on the next kill.

Anyone else tryed em or heard of this practice?

Spurred

RE: Deer ribs????

Postby Spurred » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:25 am

I tried that once and they were flat out nasty. (And I LOVE venison, eat it about twice a week.) The problem is that if you leave them on the bone there's all that intertwined fat and tallow, which, with venison, doesn't taste good like it does on a pig or steer. If anyone has a good recipe, I'd be willing to try it again, but just cooking them up like pork ribs was awful in my book!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:20 pm

ive been told that the ribs shouldnt be eaten because of bacteria that lies within the rib cage. but i also know people who eat them who are still kickin lol. ive never tried em but would be willing to try a recipe. i hate waste anything but right now i use em for otie bait.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:43 pm

Surely someone has a good recipe for deer ribs, I've tried cooking like pork, but they were hard to handle. I had to force them down kinda like the deer brats.  Good concept just haven't figured out the right formula yet.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:01 am

well i can you this you need to pull that plastic like membrane off the inside of the ribs first then i lather em with mustard and then add a dry rub then off to the smoker they go.they taste ok,remember venison is NEVER gonna taste like pork or beef  no matter what you do to it.it just doesnt have the fat marbling that the other's do
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

RNC

Postby RNC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:24 am

Never tried deer ribs. actually never thought there was enough meat on the ribs ot even bother with it.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:51 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

ive been told that the ribs shouldnt be eaten because of bacteria that lies within the rib cage. but i also know people who eat them who are still kickin lol. ive never tried em but would be willing to try a recipe. i hate waste anything but right now i use em for otie bait.

The bacreia thing is enough for me, plus like alot of you said and I agree there's not much meat on them bones.

bigbuckrub

Postby bigbuckrub » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:05 am

Most people gag on the taste of the fat. Thats why processors trash the rib cages.

DES

Postby DES » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 am

Venison ribs are tricky to cook, but once you master it, you will wonder why you haven't been eating them all these years. They are absolutely wonderful. My brother-in-law went to culinary school during the early 1990s, and he learned the trick, which he shared with us at deer camp: use the meatier ribs from a 2-plus-year-old deer and get them super clean. Remove the outer layer of silver skin (not difficult). Rub with spice blend (he won't share the secret of that, but commercial rubs do fine). Slow cook in a Nesco-type roaster for 16 to 18 hours with BBQ sauce. The key is low heat and for a long time. I believe the temperature was only 200 degrees in that roaster. The first time he made these for us we were speechless. They are that good. The only downside is that venison ribs aren't as meaty as pork ribs. But the difference there is that pork ribs get most of their flavor and volume from fat. What appears to be "not much meat" on a venison rib is surprisingly a lot when you actually eat it. Fills you up fast. Try it. You WILL like it!

maxhunter

Postby maxhunter » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Surely someone has a good recipe for deer ribs, I've tried cooking like pork, but they were hard to handle. I had to force them down kinda like the deer brats.  Good concept just haven't figured out the right formula yet.

I can't speak for the deer brats that you have had - don't know if you make them yourself or have a processor do it - but the ones that I have made by a processor in Central WI are probably the best brats I've ever had.  Less greasy than normal brats, better flavor and no-doubt a little better for you than regular brats.  If the ones you have had are as bad as you make them sound, try a different recipe because you are missing out!

Next

Return to Recipes