2011 PA Season

bmstaaf

Re: 2011 PA Season

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Well I was finally able to hit up the stand this afternoon..I entered Well I wthe woods at 1:30 just because it finally cooled down a bit and expect that anytime a big guy can stop by...well when entering the stand the wind was a bit crappy, swirling like you wouldn't believe. At about 245 behind me running I see a small set of antlers with the head down trying to find some ladies to harass...my brother has a setup moderately close he said it was a 4 point...not even 15 minutes later my brother text me and said do you have time to clean up a doe...not two minutes after that response I hear WHACK and then came the crashing and kicking...he hit both lungs and the top of the heart, she expired 30 yards from where she was hit...well since we setup close he decided to stick out the remainder of the evening..at approx. 5:00 had another small buck cruise past me and another at 5:50...I added onto my foodplot this year as an attempt to draw them closer to me, but the continue to follow the thicket and wrap around...I am trying to make this setup work, but its gonna take another spring cut and a few more plants!...all in all when the night ended my brother saw 6 doe and 1 buck, my old man saw 9 doe 1 shooter and the same 4 running out of control...now that we have a little meat to split up, its time to buck hunt...(i only have a small fridge and the lady doesn't eat deer meat, so I shoot a small one or bum some off my dad or brother... I did not take a picture of the doe, but she was a good size I'm gonna estimate 120 field dressed...she's already skinned up and ready to be cut in the morning!

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:49 pm

That sounds like a great day in the woods!!

I was out last night. Around 6 I had a little 6 point at about 50 yards.. Just meandering thru. At dark, I was letting my bow down when I heard some crashing to my left. I thought I had spoked something that I did not know was there... When the deer got close enough I realized he was coming right in on my scent drag. It was a nice 6 point, Nose to the ground, coming in hard. I only had out regular doe pee, so that surprised me he was coming in like that. I had my drag hung from a tree about 15 yards away. He stuck around for about 20 minutes, played with my drag a little bit and then walked off. I was pretty happy with that. Went out this morning.. The trees were so loaded with snow, walking in I got soaked, then sitting on stand, the snow kept falling in huge clumps from the limbs, very wet heavy snow, I was in a thicker patch (not thinking about how the snow would affect the spot).. visibility was very limited with all the snow on the branches. Left the stand without seeing a deer, still a nice morning to be in the woods tho. Was in the stand for two hours tonight, until work called. I plan on using the estrous scent this week. Talk is the activity has been really ramping up around here so I figure I may as well bust it out. Have to seal the deal soon or wait til rifle season. We leave for our ohio and indiana trip a week from today.

doit

Postby doit » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:39 pm

kickers at garden scrape 10 25 copy.jpg
kickers at garden scrape 10 25 copy.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
I got out Friday afternoon perfect prefront conditions. this only the 4 th sitting this season, 2nd time at this spot,
seen 3 bucks, 4 pt, 2.5yo 8 point that i rattled in, No shot opportunity, and seen a pretty good rack buck at about 100 yds cruising,
nice to see some bucks for a change.
I have a camera on a fake scrape in this spot and was happy to see this guy coming back around,
kickers at garden scrape 10 25 copy.jpg
kickers at garden scrape 10 25 copy.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Attachments
kickers 10 25 copy.JPG
kickers 10 25 copy.JPG (99.07 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:17 am

nice buck!! hope you get a crack at him!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:08 am

Great buck!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Finally sweet November! Got into the stand at 3:30 this afternoon to a rather warm south sw wind...hunted my plot, it was a very inactive day for me...at 6 I had deer running above me north to south but couldn't see them...the leaves are finally almost off so I was surprised I couldn't catch a glimpse.. I attempted to rattle and grunt today without any success...just at dark I had a nice buck (could only see he was wide and a little taller) enter the food plot at the north end...he showed no signs of chasing yet or even intrest to the scent I put out, just feeding....he only stayed on the plot for 5 mins max and walked off...I wish he had been about 15 minutes earlier, but that's hunting...one thing that I did notice is the trails are getting tore apart with tracks, I think the rut in my area is just about ready to kick off. I can't hunt mornings in the week so hopefully Saturday I will be able to tell if they are moving in the am's.. ps for the pa hunters I hope the weather man is off next week because the last week and a half look a bit to warm!

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Have not been out since saturday, but my buddy hit a nice 8 point last night. Could not find it tho. I went out with him this morning when I got home from work. Blood trail went about 100 yards before dropping off. There was still some decent snow on the ground, we could not locate his tracks or any more blood to save our lives. So we just canvased the area, with no luck. I left around 10 to get some sleep before work. He continued searching until 12 today. No luck. Its a shame, that would have been his first buck ever. It was a steep shot, about 15 yards from the stand at most. Arrow passed thru and stuck into the ground. When I got there this morning, it was hard to tell what shade the blood was after being in the snow all night. It was light colored in the snow, but darker on the arrow. There was a lot of white hair on the arrow.

The scenario he gave me was this:

At 5:20 pm he saw a buck on a power line about 75 yards off. He rattled and the buck started coming in. I guess the buck was coming in hott so he decided to draw before the buck got into shooting range, as the buck entered the woods, he slowed down some. My friend stayed at full draw until the buck gave him the shot. It was a broad side shot. He said his harness was making the shot difficult, he said the tether to the tree was messing with his draw arm. Anyway, he shot.. he said he is not sure where he hit, but the buck trotted back into the powerline, stood there for a few minutes and then laid down. He texted me at work, I congratulated him and told him to send me a pic. Well what I did not know, was the buck was still alive laying there, for about a half hour. The buck got up, walked a little further and laid down somewhere on the other side of the powerline. (the powerline is loaded with thick underbrush.) My friend gave the deer a few more minutes and got down out of his stand. He checked the arrow, saw it passed thru and walked right over to the first spot the buck laid down at. He said there was not much of a blood pool ( I did not see one this morning ). When he was checking the spot the buck laid down first, he heard him get up and take off. At that point he backed off and called for some back up. I guess they gave it about an hour until the other two guys showed up and started tracking the deer. They followed the deer through a wood patch, about 75 yards wide and into an open field, that is where they bumped the deer again, they think. They did not see him, but they heard a deer take off and cross the field. So they backed off completely. He called in late to work and I got done with work around 6 this morning so we went in and picked up where they left off. Like I said, we lost the tracks and blood and could not find any sign anywhere. I did not see a blood pool where the buck laid down the first time and we are not 100% sure where he laid down the second time or possibly the third time.

My thoughts are that if the deer laid there for 30 minutes with a good hit, there would have been some sort of blood pool on the ground. He is insisting that the blood was light colored last night, this morning tho, it looked darker on the arrow and for being in the snow all night, it looked kind of dark. I told him to get on here and post, but he hasn't so I am... I'll be honest, I have not shot that many deer with my bow, but everytime I have shot one they have taken off fast and expired rather quickly. (knock on wood, I have made pretty decent shots on them) I am curious as to where you guys think he hit him and why the deer just trotted away. The blood trail we followed was not that great compared to other ones I have been on. It was steady drops.. no spray and then it just sort of petered out.. Looking for any input you guys have.. Im going to post this in the blood tracking section too.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Sounds like it was hit back, the issue there is its pushed who knows where it died? My advice would be get a group together and search..some times wounds will get cclotted by tissue or blood if its bot a huge hole...did the ardor smell? Gut shots tend to leave pools of blood in areas when they lay down, and in some cases the arrow stinks...all in all the damage has been done the arrow will probably tell you the most..one other thing what color hair? I'm sure its more than a graze, so the wound will probably kill it over time..my advice to your friend would be to get a scenario hit chart, they explain how long to give deer to die for each hit..if you are unsure it gives you advice on what possibly you hit...it tells you how long a deer stays good in conditions ect...it a great tool... Good luck in any case!

I was able to hunt this afternoon I entered the stand to a south wind..the day was slow until right before dark when 4 doe came through with a 2.5 year old 8 point..he got to walk only because we have been trying to manage the deer around here..believe me it was a tough pass for pa probably 16 inches wide with decent tine length...while he was walking by I heard another buck behind me destorying trees, was not lucky enough for him to come out! Thete is always tomorrow!

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:10 am

anyone seeing midday bucks yet ??

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I actually havent been out at midday many times these past two weeks. No activity when I was.. Morning and evening have still been ok. I had a little 7 and a little 6 going nuts on my drag.. fun to watch, but other than that not much action. Had the 7 thursday and the 6 friday. Now my PA archery season is over with unused tags... have to wait until rifle! We are heading to Ohio tonight, going to be there until friday, then heading to Indiana.

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania