What should i do?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
JOEL

RE: What should I do?

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Well I have to tell you I do not want this to turn into the AR post ...hashing and rehashing the same things...pointless at best...we all come to the table with differant back grounds and life experiances my views are just that mine and in the scheme of things Who am I? So I'll end by saying....... I wish for all ...that enjoy the endevers of the hunt... to do so safely and with joy in their hearts for the good experiances they have.....
well put,i agree
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:32 am

ORIGINAL: Legnip
Who are you kidding he is definitely outside of the ears. Also on the question of to shot or not to shot, the questions is when to stop shooting....

No, I'm serious! I'll have to go back and look, but his inside spread is like 15".

When he approched through the timber, I thought he was a yearling. Even when he was in range, it was hard to judge his rack. Very narrow, and I couldn't see the kickers. My decision was baised on his body. His neck was so big that I had a hard time finding a form to mount him.

JBow

Postby JBow » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:24 am

SyracuseBowhunter,
     I may have missed it in your previous post, but just how many acres do you own in Chenango County?  I used to gun  and Bowhunt Greene, Smithville Flats, German and McDonough, all in Chenango County.  Other than the huge tracks of State Forest in those areas, there really weren't a lot of big acreage plots.  The farms have all been broken up and sold to folks like yourself, absentee landlords.  The push from downstate to buy southern tier properties has been overwhelming as far as Deer Hunting is concerned.  If you own 100 acres in Chenango County, that's a pretty good sized piece by NY standards.  Considering all the small parcels and the access to State Land off of them, you can't do anything with QDM as far as I'm concerned.  You can't control enough property.  Your neighbors are only neighbors during hunting season.  We gave up on Chenango County years ago.  Between your problem and the unbelieveable number of "Locals" who like to hunt all year long, l'd forget it.  I hate to sound so negative, but I've lived it.  Everyone wants 5 acres for a camp, backed up to a couple thousand acres of State Forest.  It's a nice Idea, if you're the only one. If you could find 300-400 acres, like an old farm before the realators get at it, good luck!  That is if you can pay 2-3 thousand an acre for hunting property.  Even that might not be enough land to make a difference.  We ended up moving our hunting pursuits over to Tioga County after Chenango and started leasing land.  At one point our group had control of 1700 acres.  Even then, the disention amongst the ranks killed that.  If every landowner or lease didn't get their big Deer, they got concerned.  After a few years, guys who did the leg work ended up on top at seasons end and the rest were jealous.  Slowly, the whole deal fell apart.  I still have access to about 600 acres between 6 landowners.  One farm and the rest are small pieces.  I don't lease anymore because of the problems you run into with money and friends.  We did scout the farm last evening and saw a lot of Deer, but I stick closer to home now.  I actually have it pretty good here with my neighbors.  A few talk QDM, but late in the season that always turns to "I'm killing the next thing I see", since NY gives out way to many doe permits.  Hey, it's NY.  What can I say.  Maybe if the DEC got off their butts and put some antler restrictions in place and thinned out the doe permits and D-map permits you might see an improvement.  I don't know.  Just don't drive yourself nuts trying to make it happen.
You could check into properties up around Otisco Lake.  I see a ton of QDM posted signs every time we drive up there to fish.  Or the co-op over around Kings Ferry, on Cayuga Lake. 

Good Luck!
JBow[;)]

IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:50 am

SBH....No kidding keep close eye on who ever does logging and get yourself a doyle scale and make sure they aren't taking you for a ride on board footage...also see if they have a small skidder ...they do less residual damage to remaining trees....for long term timber management....scidder damage can seriously put a dent in your future profits....also having them cut the laying tops down will keep you safer in cutting fire wood and break down faster helping your woods to recover from that newly timbered "bombed" look..........Also check with NY forester about thoughts on stump verse cut and scale prices and or possibilities ...for your timber....good luck

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:48 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

msbadger, there is no personal disrespect intended here, but your posts represent the kind of misinformation QDM is up against. The management style you seem to be speaking out against is actually Trophy Deer Management (TDM).

You began by claimimg that someone is out there clamoring that we should "kill all the doe" to get bigger racks. Aggressive doe harvests are a part of QDM but herd monitoring is also in place to avoid over harvest. Doe harvests that attempt to bring about sex ratios skewed toward bucks are a TDM goal.

Secondly, cull bucks are clearly NOT a facet of mainstream QDM. Again this is a tactic used by TDM.

More often than not, when people get a good look at true QDM, they begin to like it. Unfortunately, true QDM can be hard to encounter. That is why I try to counter misinformation when I see it.

But I admit, a lot of people mask Tropy Hunting with QDM talk. This may have been what you have run into. It makes it harder for the true practitioners.

I agree! To fully understand the differences, you have to fully research the practice of QDM and TDM. QDM isn't all about big wide racks, its about moving all bucks into  older age classes, and maintaining the correct buck/ doe herd ratios, etc.  It's really a shame that IA. hunters can practice QDM without state intervention, but other state's hunters have to be forced to harvest doe's and let young bucks walk.[&o] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

impeach O

RE: What should i do?

Postby impeach O » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I would do more planning than doing for the next year or so, I went gung ho on my land when I first got it and wasted a lot of time. you have one great resource in your favor youth! join QDMA and read D&DH magazine go to local habitat seminars ,read ,learn, listen also do something nice forthe family member who owns the land private hunting land is a real blessing! I would disk-spray a 30 foot path along the edge of the field with a break in front of a nice stand tree and plant cave in rock switchgrass, it will grow 6 foot tall and the bucks will pass through the break in the switchgrass to check the field for does in rut because they cant see through it anywhere else
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements