IL Trespass law

bobow

IL Trespass law

Postby bobow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:27 pm

I found this by accident: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/PublicAct97-0477.aspx due to a yute that has been trespassing with his vehicle trying to film himself doing doughnuts in a field that leads to where I hunt. Not my property but the owner wants him kept out.

Purple marking posts? Whatever works I guess :)

Note what it says about trespassing with a vehicle.

Also note what it says about penalties for a Class A misdemeanor.

I had no idea trespassing with a vehicle could land someone in that much trouble. I wonder if the law considers a 4 wheeler or dirt bike a motor vehicle. I would assume so.

Public Act 97-0477

Governor Quinn signed Senate Bill 1914, which became Public Act 97-0477, on August 22, 2011. The law became immediately effective.

Public Act 97-0477 gives landowners or lessees the option of marking their property with a series of purple marks on trees or posts. Until January 1, 2013, landowners or lessees using purple marks must continue to issue a “no trespassing” notice either by oral or written notice to particular individuals or by posting appropriate signage at the main entrance to the property in question.
The purple marks must be either:
• A vertical line of at least 8 inches in length. The bottom of the mark shall be between 3 and 5 feet high. Each mark shall be no more than 100 feet from another such mark and be readily visible to any person approaching the property.
or
• A post capped or otherwise marked on at least its top 2 inches. The bottom of the cap or mark shall be between 3 feet and 5 feet 6 inches high. Posts so marked shall be no more than 36 feet apart and be readily visible to any person approaching the property. Prior to applying a cap or mark that is visible from both sides of a fence shared by different property owners or lessees, all such owners or lessees must agree to the decision to post their own property.

Trespassing on property so marked constitutes a Class B misdemeanor, except when a person trespasses using a motor vehicle if the marked area is an orchard; an enclosed area containing livestock; a barn or other agricultural building containing livestock; or an (sic) field that is used or capable of being used for growing crops. Such trespassing constitutes a Class A misdemeanor.

No landowner or lessee is authorized to post purple marks if doing so would violate any applicable law, rule, ordinance, order, covenant, bylaw, declaration, regulation, restriction, contract, or other instrument.
Public Act 97-0477 does not apply to real property located in a municipality of over 2,000,000 inhabitants.

Illinois Misdemeanors Penalties
There are 3 classes of Misdemeanor charges and penalties in Illinois:

Class A Misdemeanor
• Up to 1 year in Jail; and/or
• Fine of up to $2,500
• Examples: Battery, DUI, Possession of Marijuana (10-30 grams), Possession of Firearms, Reckless Driving

Class B Misdemeanor
• Up to 6 months in Jail; and/or
• Fine of up to $1,500
• Examples: Possession of Marijuana (2.5-10 grams), Harassment

Class C Misdemeanor
• Up to 30 days in Jail; and/or
• Fine of up to $1,500.
• Examples: Assault, Possession of Marijuana (under 2.5 grams)
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

jonny5buck

Re: IL Trespass law

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:30 am

Purple paint will fade over time,or could be covered by foilage...im all for it if it works as stated...but the fact of the matter is if putting up No -trespass signs and a fence doesnt stop trespassers...[it usually does NOT!!]...purple paint will not either...

The way i see it is easy...if its not your property...Your trespassing.....the bright spot is more and more landowners are investing in trailcams...and if the subject is caught on film its usually a slam dunk with prosecution....the more people get prosecuted for riding quads on private property and poaching the less it will happen....trail cams will eventually curb this behavior in the long run...at least i hope- :roll:

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:34 am

What about color blind people? This law is discriminatory!!!! Someone call the ACLU!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:40 am

Woods Walker wrote:What about color blind people? This law is discriminatory!!!! Someone call the ACLU!

What is color blind about the posted words "PRIVATE PROPERTY" NO TRESSPASSING" "KEEP OUT" and My Favorite :"TRESSPASSERS WILL BE SHOT, SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN !"
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:41 am

jonny5buck wrote:Purple paint will fade over time,or could be covered by foilage...im all for it if it works as stated...but the fact of the matter is if putting up No -trespass signs and a fence doesnt stop trespassers...[it usually does NOT!!]...purple paint will not either...

The way i see it is easy...if its not your property...Your trespassing.....the bright spot is more and more landowners are investing in trailcams...and if the subject is caught on film its usually a slam dunk with prosecution....the more people get prosecuted for riding quads on private property and poaching the less it will happen....trail cams will eventually curb this behavior in the long run...at least i hope- :roll:

You are so right. How many even know about this "purple paint" thing anyway? ;)

IMO, it is a sad day when trail cams have to be used for catching dickheads that trespass. The other issue is unless it is well concealed, it is just something else to steal. :(
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:57 pm

kellory wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:What about color blind people? This law is discriminatory!!!! Someone call the ACLU!

What is color blind about the posted words "PRIVATE PROPERTY" NO TRESSPASSING" "KEEP OUT" and My Favorite :"TRESSPASSERS WILL BE SHOT, SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN !"

You forgot......."TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED"

Except that in some areas, this may actually INCREASE trespassing! :shock:

Which reminds me of a tee shirt I saw for sale once in a sporting goods store. It read.....

"PADDLE FASTER! I HEAR BANJO MUSIC!!!"
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Honestly, I never heard of the purple paint rule till I read it here.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Illinois