hunting out of my first ground blind...

rmontez

hunting out of my first ground blind...

Postby rmontez » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 pm

I normally do not feel comfortable hunting on the ground but I found a spot this year where putting up a ladder stand is not an option. I am on the edge of some thick hemlocks with hardwoods to my back. it is about a half mile off the main road. I built this stand out of treated lumber, it is 4' long x 3' deep x 5' high, it is wrapped in camo cloth and then covered in hemlock branches. It feels like a nice secure stand. Now I just have to leave it setup a while and let the deer get used to it.

bobow

Re: hunting out of my first ground blind...

Postby bobow » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:03 am

Looking Good!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:16 pm

If you would not have mentioned the blind being there, I might not have seen it. Looks great.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Great lookin' blind!!
Addicted to hunting!!

willypete

Postby willypete » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:07 pm

I am not going to lie. When i saw the title and went instantly to the picture without reading anything i was like, " OK nice view OUT of your blind.....?"

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Willypete, I thought the same thing when I seen it. Makes me want to go out and tear mine apart and start over..lol.

Matt

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:28 pm

lmao glad to know it's camo'd very well!!!

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 pm

You done good! But can you shoot well from it? Hmmm? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Can you take a picture from the blind? Can you give a description on which way and when the deer are traveling?

I hunted during my early years from the ground with bow and gun. Still do every once in awhile. Out of the numerous sits I've been involved with 7 kills with shotgun with slugs. The farthest maybe 40 yards ( a 4 pointer I shot at around 110 yards that ran at me!!). I'm not including some of the other deer I've shot with buckshot.

One of the best blinds I've sat at had a big fallen tree, maybe 24 inches or so, that fell over and my Dad and I used as the front of the blind. There were a couple trees on the side of it and we added branches to front and some more on the sides. It was a great blind that we had seen several and shot a couple deer from. If I would have known better we would have put more background cover. It was in a hardwoods area that was pretty open but we could count on the deer coming from the South and West in the morning, East and North in the evening.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 am

kellory wrote:You done good! But can you shoot well from it? Hmmm? ;)

I'll let you know when and if I the chance!!!

Return to Wisconsin