leather boots for deerhuntung

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ripper7

leather boots for deerhuntung

Postby ripper7 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Last week I went out deer hunting in the rain with leather boots.After a while they became thoroughly wet. Any recommendations on types of water proofing I should use. I am concerned about leaving a scent trail that would alert the deer to my presence This years deer budget is tapped out for major expenditures ( new HHS safety vest) I am trying to make do with the equipment currently have.

mnslayer

Re: leather boots for deerhuntung

Postby mnslayer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Try bees wax its low odor and natural

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm

ripper7 wrote:Last week I went out deer hunting in the rain with leather boots.After a while they became thoroughly wet. Any recommendations on types of water proofing I should use. I am concerned about leaving a scent trail that would alert the deer to my presence This years deer budget is tapped out for major expenditures ( new HHS safety vest) I am trying to make do with the equipment currently have.

Waterproofing leather is easy and hard. You could oil the leather, but they would be very cold. You can use snowseal(silicone) but it will be smelly and cold, but very dry. You can bag your feet in grocery bags (which I have done) but they will still be cold. If you use wax, it is low odor, but to get a good seal you will need to heat it with a hair dryer or a plumber's torch, and again it will be dry, but cold.I have tried and done all of these. (yes, I am a cheap bastard) I found the best use of my money was to hit walmart or target for closeout, or clearance boots that were camo, insulated, waterproof(garrenteed) and cost me about $35. and they have NO scent. Name on them was Winchester I think, I will check my gear if you wish.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Proline

Postby Proline » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:35 am

I think ur kinda stuck. Most stuff smells. Sno Seal will do the best but it does have a bees wax smell. Personally I would never wear leather when hunting. Buy some good Lacrosse boots but buy them as sson as you can for next year. The rubber stinks when new and they need to air out for months b4 use.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Montana Boot Dressing. I have a pair of Kenetrek Northern boots I use it on. Kenetrek has their own brand of waterproof boot dressing also.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:45 pm

I love that Montana Pitch(Blend I think it was called) as well. Used to get it from Screaming Eagle.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Hey Hunterwild... just curious, but do you work for sportsman's guide? I just noticed that pretty much every one of your posts includes a link to the guide...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 am

Right on, I do like checking things out on their site. That zoom option is pretty cool. I even had to return some scope rings I bought online, and it was really easy to print the return label and just ship it back...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Beeswax. I bought a lifetime supply from EBAY (about 8 lbs) about 10 years ago. I used a makeshift double-boiler to melt the wax on the stove-- just a pan in a pan filled with water. Once the wax was melted, I used a paint brush to paint the wax on and then I used a heat gun to warm the leather enough to suck the wax in. Once I was done, I was good for 7 years. I reapplied it 3 years ago. I know of guys who've had an application last 20 years. I'm just getting started.

Go slow. Keep applying light coats until the leather won't take more wax
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Best Practices