how often ????

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Highlander Archery

RE: how often ????

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:44 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

You should only shoot 30 to 40 arrows per session, to the best of your ability. Practice should also be done from all positions you intend to hunt from. One day practice from the ground, the next elevated.

30 to 40 a session sounds like a lot to me.........

Isn`t proper form more important than number of shots? Can most people really shoot that number of shots and have the strength to retain form?

Yes, most year round shooters can sustain 30 to 40 arrows per session, 30 arrows is your typical indoor 300 round or  3D shoot. If there are problems with form or your own physical abilities you need to reduce the amount of shooting per session and focus wholely on strengthening those areas.

You are correct, form trumps all.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:33 pm

I try to shoot daily and I shoot every other day at the least, I shoot about 60 shots in a normal session (more on other days) I shoot mostly flat ground, and I start shooting at 80 yards (yes 80) and work my way in closer with each quiver full. I would never try to shoot an animal at 80 yards however practicing at that range, I can ethicly take a 60yd shot on flat ground without a problem and 45-50yds from stands or kneeling position. Practicing at 80 yards makes 30 yards a chip shot.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:44 pm

I shoot both elevated and on the ground when I shoot. I think the best way to shoot is shoot both ways. You never know whats going to happen on your walk to your tree stand. I shoot all sorts of weird shots as well cuz once again you never know what can happen in the woods. I try to shoot everyday, however with work and school sometimes that is very hard to do. So Ill shoot everyother day if Im not able to shoot the day before.  I like shooing at TV shoots. There are 2 shoots you can do, an hour and a half hour.  the half hour shoot is 9 rounds at 4 arrows a round. The hour is 18 rounds at 4 arrows. After the hour I find myself VERY tired and not making shots I should. When Im not shooting at a TV I will usally fling 50-60 arrows at "The Block". Ill always make sure I am using the same form otherwise I have noticed it will screw with my accuracy. I try to shoot all sorts of different yards. Some of them being for fun, such as a 70 yard shot. I do this with friends for fun only and would NEVER take a shot at a deer that far. Try it out with some friends and see who can shoot the extra yards.
Just remember to have fun other there and be safe.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:26 am

I shoot at least 5 days a week, 50-150 arrows a session, sometimes 2 or more sessions a day on weekends year around. I have been shooting over 25yrs.

I shoot from 3-40 yds, roving around the yard. I have yet to find a block or bag that lasts much more than 6 months :(
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:42 am

Wow!
Loads of practice out there.

I wish I didn't live in the city. Pretty difficult to get out of doors or to a range to shoot 3-5 times a week. And all the (indoor) ranges around here are 20 yards.

Lately (when we can get out) we have been concentrating on shooting from the stand. One of us shoots, the other collects the arrows, changes the targets position and repeat.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:17 am

I shoot 15 - 50 arrows per practice round, but make sure that I stop at the first sign of fatigue related form errors.  Quantity isn't important, just make every arrow count.

Speaking of that, I know a few archers who shoot only one arrow first thing in the morning, then might practice later in the day.  The focus on that single arrow comes in very handy during hunting season.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:40 am

I have an indoor range in my basement, and I live on 5 acres, so I shoot all year.  I average 10,000 to 12,000 arrows a year. When I shoot outdoors, I shoot at least 2 to 3 dozen at each session, often two or more sessions a day. When outdoors, much of that shooting is roving, using Judo points.

I do occasionally shoot from the ladder stand I have in the yard, but most of my hunting is now done from the ground, so I shoot that way most of the time. I also constantly challenge myself with extremely long shots; not that I would attempt them hunting, but it DOES build your confidence. An old sports coach would always train us at a level HIGHER than we were to compete at.

I'm an instinctive recurve shooter, so for me, there's no such thing as "too much" practice.  Besides, I LOVE every second of it, and it's FAR better than watching TV!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:00 am

When I go out to practice.. I shoot about 50 arrows in about an hour span. Usually 3-4 days a week. I shoot at an archery club, so I shoot at various angles, distances and elevations. Usually I shoot 14 targets, either bottom half or top half of our course, usually 4 arrows a target, sometimes more, sometimes less. The days I do not go to the club, I shoot at a 3-d target in my back yard. Usually I only take one shot at the target and im done. Like djohns13 said, one shot is what counts and focusing on making the best possible shot really helps when you are in the woods and you only have that one shot.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:14 am

ORIGINAL: bckklr

how often does everyone shoot ?how many per session?elevated or ground level?

How often do I shoot?  Not enough!!! 

I shoot about twice a week.  15 - 30 arrows per session.  I try do practice from both elevated and the ground. 

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 am

me every chance i get just got a new stick slinger so ive been tearin it up lately been shootin 20/30 every day other than my scheduled mowing day the last couple of days its been all elevated shooting since i just got my scafel system the other day ,the only bad thing is its only 12 ft up usually i use a 20 ft ladder stand but my new house is void of trees so the scaf is the best i could do
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting