Hang on stand problems. Can anyone help???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
charlie 01

Re: Hang on stand problems. Can anyone help???

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 pm

After installing my climbing sticks, I screw in a # 6 size hook from a hardware store at the height I want my stand. I then have a nylon strap ( 1' wide by 16') that has a hook at each end. I then carry up the stand and use the small strap to hang the stand on the hook, now you are hands free to attach the stand.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:19 am

I believe blueeyeddragon76 has it right. I have a large welded steel fixed platform stand that I built for a particular location. It is large and heavy, and the tree is about 3 foot diameter. (it was made to fit it) The method I devised for installing it is now used to install any hang on stand. I use a pulley attached to a cable loop about 4 foot long. it will wrap the trunk or any limb and the pulley passes through the cable and cinches. then a rope to the stand through the pulley and tied off at ground level at any height short of the pulley. very easy to attach chains, straps, whatever, while the rope and pulley carry the weight. I also install 1 screw step beneath the chain on the back side of the tree to prevent any slippage, and to hang my pack(out of the way, but easy access.) I can also use this setup with a thrown weight over a tree branch or through the crotch of a tree, and pull the pulley up into position that way and tie off at ground level. Of course, if you do that feed the lift rope through the pulley before hauling the pulley up. then use sticks, or steps, or ladder as needed to set straps and chains.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:34 am

pwbsmokey wrote:I have a Lone Wolf hang on stand, but this should work with other stands. I use a strap-on tree step above the point where I want the stand to be. I then hoist the stand up with a rope and hang it off of the step by the seat. (the seat is in the folded up position) Then I can attach the stand to the tree. My climbing sticks are to the side of the stand. I leave the strap-on step on the tree above the stand and to the back side of the tree. I use it as a hand hold when stepping from the climbing sticks to the platform. Once I'm in the stand I use the step as a hook to hang my pack.

This is similar to what I do. I use a small screw in hook instead of a strap on.

1. Affix climbing sticks (gave up on screw in steps a few years ago -- too hairy coming down in the dark / rain / etc.)

2. Climb up, screw in hook where you want the top of the stand to be.

3. Hoist stand up with a rope, and hang it from hook. Chain/strap/whatever the stand to the tree. Remove hook, and screw it in higher up in the tree as a pack / bow / whatever holder while you're hunting.

As another poster mentioned, I also use an extra cam-strap or two to secure the stand to the tree. Safer, more secure, and makes less noise the sturdier it is strapped to the tree. Also, I always use a climbing belt while hanging it, and ALWAYS put my harness on and hook it to the tree before taking that first step out on to the stand.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Another spammer :x
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:49 am

kellory wrote:Another spammer :x

They're really making it hard to follow up on posts here, since everything looks new each time you come to the site.

Too bad.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Im not quite sure what the problem was, but once I pull the stand up and it is hanging at the desired height I tie off the rope so the stand is suspended right where it needs to be, freeing up both hands for chains/straps...

I have done it a bunch of times, you will get it down to where it will only take you several minutes.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 am

Screw in tree step under the seat serves purpose when needed.

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 am

If your stand location has easy access then bring up a full size work ladder with a 4 wheeler. The full size work ladder makes it a cinch to get your stands attached to the tree with ease. After the tree stand is mounted then mount your tree sticks. Once everything is mounted securely simply load up the full size work ladder back onto your four wheeeler and head on home.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Bukmastr

Postby Bukmastr » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:10 pm

The origanal owner of Lone Wolf treestand company is a good friend of mine. I helped him with proto-typing and new stand testing.
Anywho, I have been using L/W stands for over 20 years... I put together a youtube video showing how I set the stand up close to bedded bucks fast and quietly. The video passed my time limit with youtube so its two parts, but its worth watching.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEyFDBV7X4

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBOa-681Hk
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
http://www.huntingbeast.com

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:00 pm

I liked the vid. Didn't need the stand set up part so much but I really enjoyed how you broke down getting close to the bed, great stuff.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices