Feeder Feeding Times...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shadow

Feeder Feeding Times...

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:48 pm

I had just upgraded from a small  5-gallon Moultrie feeder that runs out rather quickly, to a 225 lb. Moultrie feeder.
Like my smaller one it is programable with up to I believe 6 different times per day you can let feed drop. I have it set now only for the morning at 8:30 am, and evening for 5:30 pm.
Now I am able to leave it in the woods longer without refilling, before I was always in every 2 weeks and it had always been empty, it was probably empty even after the first week but I did not want to scent up the area to much.  I plan now on refilling about every 4 weeks. I got it running dropping corn for 8 seconds every time it goes on, its supposed to be about 1-1/2 pounds per drop.

My question is, if you use a feeder, do you take advantage of using any additional time settings besides morning and evening and if so why?  My reasoning for the times I chose is that I can possibly get deer to stay on my property and then hope to get them to come to my stand area when I'm hunting in the morning or late afternoons, without overdoing it and spending alot on the corn.  
By the way, I am not hunting over the feeder, but off a trail that leads to it. (75yards or so).

shadow

RE: Feeder Feeding Times...

Postby shadow » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:00 am

I feel alone here!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:17 am

We use a feeder, probably very similar to the Moultrie you bought.  It will run you out of feed real quick on the 8 second setting, particularly going twice a day.  For example using a six second setting once a day, we were out of 200 pounds of corn after two weeks.  But I'm not saying the raccoons might have climbed the steps to the hopper and helped spin the spinner a bit to get some extra.  We did similar settings over the winter though, figuring about a pound or so a spin and it would be out after 2-3 weeks even with a single five second spin.

As far as when to set the timer, I think deer move when deer move, at least in our part of Misssouri and they don't much care when the corn hits the ground.  They'll get there in their own sweet time - at least that's what our game cameras tell us. 

I would caution against spinning too much out, eventually everything might not get eaten and then sit on the ground and get moldy.  We've had that happen, particullarly during the spring when it's wet.

Let us know if you try mid-day settings and how they work out.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:50 pm

sorry dont use feeder they are illegal here in NY
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Not trying to hijack shadows thread, but since we're talking feeders maybe someone can help me with a problem. Got my feeder, a 5 gallon american hunter, out the other day and it was working fine when I left. I went to check it a week or so later and the bucket was empty and the slinger part was making about 2 turns every 30 seconds or so, almost like it was just pulsating. The result is corn being dumped on the ground in a pile rather than slung out. My feeder settings were set for it to spin for 1 min every 8 hrs. No idea why its doing this? Could really use some help on this if anyone has ever had a similar problem. I'm thinking maybe moisture inside the gear box.

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:20 pm

We use auto feeders like that down here in LA & we do hunt over the feeders.....I usually set mine for an hour after daylight and an hour before dark with a 10-15 second drop and a 5 second at noon and midnight if that feeder has the capability to program out that far.  With the price of the golden kernel this year I'm gonna change up some ===probably gonna run 8-10 second runs to start and see what happens....we use On-Time feeders so I can regulate my drop with the gap between the feeder and barrel.

I use the 2 short runs to keep corn on the ground and to spike a little intrest of a mid day passing deer or to have a little out for daylight

Return to General Discussions