Rattling Antler Size?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Jeronimo08

Rattling Antler Size?

Postby Jeronimo08 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Once again, we come to the same old question. Does size matter? Just curious what size antlers everyone uses and the thought behind it. I use an 8 point pair that I would classifiy as small :oops: (maybe score a 105 to 110 if they belonged on a deer). Wondering if I should find some bigger ones as I have never rattled in a monster, just similar size bucks to the pair I'm working. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

KCguy

Re: Rattling Antler Size?

Postby KCguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm

I use two different sized antlers to simulate two different sized bucks fighting. One is a medium 8 and the other is a small 10. When I started using two different antlers, I seemed to have called in more bucks than using a matched pair from one buck.

Matt

Jeronimo08

Postby Jeronimo08 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm

I never thought about it like that. i'm not sure mine are from the same deer but they are similar sized. Maybe try throwing in one bigger one in the morning. Thanks.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Not sure if using two different size antlers makes a difference, but the logic sounds good. I happen to use a 9 pt rack with 6-7 inch tines, so I guess I'll keep using that set.
I think if you get too big of a set, it gets hard to pack around too.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 pm

One option to have antlers from two separate deer is if there is a deer farm close to where you live. Ask them about buying two different size antlers, they might be able to part with two. That is how I got mine and did not have to spend any money either, just volunteered my time on the game farm.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:29 pm

For me, antler size does make a difference. By size, I'm talking more on the mass of the antler for drawing in larger, older bucks. I believe bigger bucks know the sounds of the fights they have been in as well as other big bucks fighting. Also I think one could get the sound of heavier antlers to travel farther. Again, just my thinking. But, for the most part any decent pair ( dosen't have to be matched, they can't tell the diff.) should bring in any buck within hearing. Depending on what kind of day your hunting, would determine the range of sound. Rattling sounds do not reach out as far as one would think. I really like those still frosty mornings. The deer are active and the sound will travel far.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Archery and Bowhunting