Ok, you're the Dr Kroll, now what?

Ostermann

Re: Ok, you're the Dr Kroll, now what?

Postby Ostermann » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 pm

I like having the option of shooting a buck or doe and there is no guarantee that what walks by will fit in the "legal" category. Same could be said many years ago when you could only shoot were bucks. Having multiple tags now was unheard of 25 years ago when you were lucky to draw a doe tag. A lot of advances in deer management but it still comes down to what the hunter wants to shoot. If I buy 10 tags and shoot 10 deer, next year will be a down year. If I pass on bucks for a few years, I should see more bigger bucks.

I try to harvest the first legal deer I can due to time and opportunity restraints for me. Each deer is a blessing if it has a big rack or not. No matter what choice is made not everyone will be happy with the decision.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:51 pm

want me to shoot more does?....do something about the registration stations.....their's only so many times i'm gonna drive to the local bar(as an adult i've never been to a bar except to register deer) and here the woman their complain the whole time how much she HATES deer hunters, HATES deer hunting and cant wait till this BS is over with(because she's the only worker their to register deer) until i say forget it i'll just stop shooting does(and drive the bucks i shoot 4 times farther away to a different registration station)

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Ostermann,

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, please don't take it that way. All I'm saying is why not give an alternative to those that are happy to shoot a doe a discount on their license? If they think that the same will improve hunter recruitment, then why not try it with doe tags being a general firearms license? If you look at the harvest numbers, you have a better chance at shooting a doe anyway.

Bigfoot,

I'll agree that the Registration Stations, as currently structured, leave a lot to be desired. I, for the life of me, can't figure out why Ranger Stations and DNR Field Offices can't be Registration Stations for the 9 day period each year. That way, they would be able to collect age data etc. and really know what is going on with the herd in the local areas instead of relying on computer models. DNR employees need to get out of offices and into the woods.

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Dan, no fight here. I guess I'm a little old fashioned because growing up during the 80's some of the 90's it was either a buck or you had to draw a doe tag. Doe tags are fairly cheap and easy to get compared to back then. I live out of state due to the military (Marine Corps) and get home only for the gun season. I don't get to spend the time scouting and trying to monitor deer so maybe I have a different point of view since I can't watch the herd. About the only scouting I get is from my Father in-law when he tells me if he has seen some deer near my stand!

I think one of the things for hunter recruitment is that it's not the size of the deer or how many but the whole experience. I think too many people get wrapped up on how many points or what the gross score is. Some hunters get the "it was only a doe" or "it only scored 120 inches" mentality that the whole experience can get ruined. I am tired of seeing a hunter shoot and immediately turn to the camera and say, "I smoked that sucker." IMO, no respect for the deer and not being a sportsman (watch where it went, what direction it went, discussing where it was hit, etc.).

Even going to the registration station, IMO, is part of the experience. I have to drive about 20 minutes either way to register a deer when I hunt my woods or my in-laws. Fortunately it is for gun season and it is part of the tradition. If you get a chance watch "Winchester Legends" with Bob Foulkrod from the 2009 or 2010 gun season. He hunted in Wisconsin and dropped a big buck. Next day his guide/outfitter shot one. They took both to get registered. To me that is part of the hunt experience and what I like about Wisconsin and the unique traditions we have. Even if you get skunked you can see what others did and dream about what's out there. They always say the hard part is after the shot.......

Also, maybe crossbows? That's another debate!!

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:34 am

I'll let you know soon. We are meeting the Dr. Kroll, the Governor, DNR heads and others today in Madison to discuss this.

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Retch - Good luck with the meeting.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin