How's the rut going?

gonehun10

Re: How's the rut going?

Postby gonehun10 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:52 am

Saw a small 8 point cruisin Sat morning. Walked right under my stand. If he does it again he'll be in my freezer. :mrgreen:

gonehun10

Postby gonehun10 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:59 am

DS333 here"s my advice for what it's worth. Hunt hard in the mornings. With the combination of warm weather and the full moon rising early evening this week I have a feeling evening hunts aren't going to be very productive (not that you shouldn't go out if given the chance). Every evening hunt this past week has deer moving after legal shooting hours have ended and the rides home have been a deer slolem. Good luck.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:59 pm

I think you have something there Gonethere. Because of the warm weather, I figured that the deer would be coming out just before dark. Well they didn't, but they seemed to be everywhere on the ride home. We are going to try mornings now for a while.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Birdddog

Postby Birdddog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:38 am

No sightings monday or tuesday. I covered up a scrape monday night on my way out and it was freshened up tuesday morning. Confirmed in my area of night time movement. Come on cold weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Birdddog on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Buddy hunted our stands last night and saw 3 bucks, one of which was a big 10 pt that didn't offer a shot. The other two were smallish 8s. We went together this morning till 11am and we only saw a spike. The dogs were in the woods again this morning...forgot the shovel.
While I was going to my stand this morning in the dark, I was following "bright eyes" with my flashlite. I saw a double set of bright eyes a bit to my left, so I changed direction a little to adjust. Turned out that my buddy didn't put any double sets of bright eyes out...it was a deer. (Duh)

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Buddy hunted our stands last night and saw 3 bucks, one of which was a big 10 pt that didn't offer a shot. The other two were smallish 8s. We went together this morning till 11am and we only saw a spike. The dogs were in the woods again this morning...forgot the shovel.
While I was going to my stand this morning in the dark, I was following "bright eyes" with my flashlite. I saw a double set of bright eyes a bit to my left, so I changed direction a little to adjust. Turned out that my buddy didn't put any double sets of bright eyes out...it was a deer. (Duh)

:lol:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:45 pm

I rattled in a small six on tuesday night and haven't seen anything since.Lost my favorite spot in New Albany cause somebody was firing a firearm directly into the area shooting at cans or something and my dumbass called into the police so somebody could let him know there is always people hunting that area and not to fire into it but apparently it didn't go that way since hte house wasn't in New Albany city limits. Now I see where the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished" comes from! :x
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 pm

deerslayer333 wrote:I rattled in a small six on tuesday night and haven't seen anything since.Lost my favorite spot in New Albany cause somebody was firing a firearm directly into the area shooting at cans or something and my dumbass called into the police so somebody could let him know there is always people hunting that area and not to fire into it but apparently it didn't go that way since hte house wasn't in New Albany city limits. Now I see where the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished" comes from! :x

If you are in new Albany, that is not far from me.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Hunted the last 3 hours of the day with snow on the ground in the woods. Shot a mature doe at 5:30. Saw three other does earlier, but no bucks. Good eats.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Hunted last 3 1/2 hours last night. Saw three does and that was it. Will try again Wednesday evening. Anyone else have any luck this week?

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio