Shot Placement

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JOEL

RE: Shot placement

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 pm

i like to take a Central mass shot on all deer,bow especially,with the gun i 'm a little more liberal.I have taken a few deer by shooting in the neck,the bullet takes out the spine and they fall on the spot,this is a plus when your in the mountains
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:36 pm

being primarily  a bowhunter my dreams are filled of that perfect quartering away shot that gives my muzzy an awesome path through both lungs. ive had deer go 80 yds ive had em go 10. i think it greatly depends on the deers demeanor before the shot on the distance they travel after. after reading the article last year or so on the scapula shot, ive been employing this when gun hunting and have enjoyed tremendous success.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:24 pm

A neck shot does put them down quickly....IF you place the shot right where it has to go.

I do not favor that shot, because there's not much margin for error. If you DON'T hit the right spot, you have a deer that runs off with all kinds of horrific wounds, like shot off, or hanging by a thread jaws, blown out eyes, or even a totally blind animal, or one with a partially shot windpipe that sounds like a locomotive going through the woods. Definately NOT good press for hunting.

I like that high, point of the shoulder shot. That drops 'em like they've been poll-axed, and if you aren't quite there, you've still hit the vitals, and they won't run very far at all.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:12 am

I am exclusively a heart/lung kind of guy.  It probably comes from starting out as a bow hunter.  I can cite all sorts of reasons, but what it boils down to is it works.   I don't see any of the other possibilities that presents as large and easy a target as the boiler room.  If you couple a large target with the relatively close ranges that I normally encounter deer, the shot becomes the least of my worries. To me, that's the way it should be.  I like a shot that is relatively muff-proof.  It is not a shot without consequences.

I have never had a good plate of deer ribs, so after reading a thread somewhere on good ways to barbecue deer ribs, I though that I should plan on asking my processor of seven seasons to be sure to include some.  When I told Jake what I wanted, he put down his clipboard and scolded me:

He said. "If you want ribs, you've got to stop bringing me carcasses with no chest left!  I am not a magician!"   I guess Jake had been a bit busy that day, but he quickly recovered and we both had a good laugh.  He was right.  I have a bad habit of ruining vast amounts of rib.  30-something bullets at close range can make massive holes. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Knockdown

Postby Knockdown » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:29 pm

I am a boilerroom shot person when it is at all possible. I have done middle of the shoulder shots and they work great too. I have not/will not try neckshots. 

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:56 am

Over 90% of all of my deer hunting is done with a bow, so from an archery perspective I aim where I have the most margin for error.  That area for me is tight behind the shoulder crease, one third up from the bottom of the ribcage.  This is for broadside shots, but my favorite shot is the quartering away shot where I aim to have my arrow exit the opposite side at the front leg.  Every deer I have ever shot like this went down in sight.  They also left good blood trails even though I didn't need to follow them.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:58 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

The QDMA forums have a post about firearm shot placement. Most of the hunters on that forum shoot through the shoulder of the deer. Some even said they are shooting them in the neck when possiable. They reason that shooting in these places will drop a deer in its tracks, making for a easier tracking job. Also that there is less meat wasted with a neck shot. Shooting behind the shoulder in the center of the vitals is more appealing to my tactics of hunting. Where are you putting your lead? Is a shoulder or neck shot ethical in your opinion? 

I won't take a neck shot anymore. I'll pop a doe in the head, but not the neck. I was tracking a deer in deep snow. I wasn't making a lot of noise. I stopped for awhile to not push the deer. I had a buck stick his head out from a pine tree at 10 yards. I shot him in the neck with my .308. It missed everything. The buck turned and almost ran me over at 2 yards. Never again. A 12 guage slug is probably different, since it is a bigger hole. I've shot several deer in the neck, but now it is either a head shot for a doe, or through both lungs for a buck.
From those who much is given, much is expected

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 pm

With a bow I use only the clearest shot I get, mainly broadside & leg forward...with a gun I will aim for the white patch on a does neck=quick fall without out messing up most of the meat, on the other hand I will take a shoulder shot on a buck, and still even hope I dont loose him...I hardly ever shoot anyway besides broadside, unless he's just a bruiser...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:52 pm

I shoot heart and lungs only.  (At least that's where I aim...)  As other guys said, too much room for error for the head or neck shot.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 am

I would consider a neck shot more ethical just because the animals dies the second its hit...a shoulder shot on the other hand, which I had in one instance, the buck still ran, but it also runs down to which shot you can make at the time...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices