Coyotes kill buck

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Sailfish

Coyotes kill buck

Postby Sailfish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:31 am

Anyone look at the slide series on DDH? Amazing.
To me it really only looked like 2 coyotes. Hard to believe two coyotes could kill a mature buck (I have no coyote knowledge). Seems to me like he coulda easily held his own, walked away, gored the yote, something.
I wonder if he was wounded already?
Either way, what a capture on his game camera
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

bobow

Re: Coyotes kill buck

Postby bobow » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:26 pm

I was going through it and it is amazing. He was wounded I think in the first picture so hard to say what happened before he came into view.

Maybe this had been an all night hunt. That buck seemed to be worn down at the beginning of the photo set.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:49 pm

I too thought it was odd that the buck never really ran off or tried to fight of the coyotes. I'm wondering if that buck was possibly sick or injured somehow.
Scott

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:25 am

I'm posting partly to get a real topic above all the spam, but mainly to get a viewpoint on this issue from someone I regard as an expert. I sent the link to the coyote vs. buck slideshow to an expert coyote trapper, probably the #1 guy on trapping eastern coyotes, and here is his reply:
Incredible!

It shows how a deer cannot take the stress. Stress will kill them as easy as a wound.

Notice the female with teets. She is running back and forth to the pups regergitating meat to them, and as is the male. That is why they look fat one second and return looking skinny.

Be interesting to know what that spot is. it looks like a deer feeding spot. Could be a penned deer. Deer have been known to run to humans for help if they have interacted before.

Also notice the coyotes are mangy. Nothing is more of a killer than a mangy coyote. They have to eat to keep up and they are also crazy with the infestation.

Coyotes are killers.

Some things to look for when watching the slideshow.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features