D&DH Site Wiped Out By Power Spammer

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Woods Walker

D&DH Site Wiped Out By Power Spammer

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 am

This last one, taparquettmodes, has destroyed every forum topic he's posted on. Most all the old posts GONE. What's the point of posting anything until the can get software that guards against this crap. So I will say goodbye for now until they get this fixed. Hopefully this will get read before he or another spammer further nuke it.

Good hunting to all.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

jonny5buck

Re: D&DH Site Wiped Out By Power Spammer

Postby jonny5buck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 am

I agree 'WW''....this is ruining the site ...it's more than just an ''inconvenience''....it is making the site go down hill fast,and unacceptable...i dont mind reporting spam and doing my part.I have been posting on here for a few yrs and this is unacceptable,and since the transition it has gotten at a high level of spam.

Its not our job to fix this and Deer and DeerHunting is well aware of the the amount and frequency....we are all very frustrated and losing interest as well......i hope we get some kind of a response back as far as 'what?...DDH is going to do to elimante this....its not just something that happens ...it is out of control and destroying this site ...i would guess 80-98% of members frequent this site Just for the forum .....now what is the incentive?????? pay money to sift thru the spam......?...Im very disappointed as well-Jon ~ :(

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:26 pm

I agree with Woods and Jon. Something drastic needs to be done. At least the Administrators could keep us updated on how they are trying to solve the situation. It's a shame what is going on. Throw these guys off and lock up the membership for a while if you have to.
Dennis
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 am

Can't a spammer simply be deleted, and all his posts with him? (I guess this question is for Ben.)

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 am

Why don't they just quit allowing new posters for awhile? Or another thing I suggested(and this should be doable NOW)..limit the # of posts for new members for their first week or so.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Oakarver wrote:Why don't they just quit allowing new posters for awhile? Or another thing I suggested(and this should be doable NOW)..limit the # of posts for new members for their first week or so.

Maximum 14 posts in the first two weeks? If the software can do this, that would be a good idea. New members can post once a day, or if they're engaged in a heavy discussion they can post all 14 over a shorter period and not post again until the first two weeks are up.

Or, could we prohibit new members from posting links during the first two weeks?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Just lock out new members for a while until these spanners get tired. Something drastic needs to be done.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 am

There are programs available that can limit the users to make a number of posts in X time period, every 15 seconds, 30 seconds or whatever.

This spamming is obviously a bot. PhpBB has tools etc that can be utilized to stop bot's from registering, blocking ip's, country's etc

FWIW WW, this thread is still here :D
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Here is my 2 cents. Let's all chip in and buy that program Sailfish.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 am

I actually think the tool(s) are free to the users of phpBB.
Implementation is the tricky and timely part
It is really rampant though on here. I haven't ever really seen it happen like this before(not a IT guru just a multi-forum user ).

DDH uses captcha as well to limit spammers from getting an ID, but even the spammers have bot tools to beat captcha.
I think an ip address track would maybe show the IP addresses coming from the same country (call me crazy but i'm gonna go with China)
Block these ISP's too telefonica.com.ar,unicom-cn, ovh.net ,telecomitalia.it, chinanet-zj, hinet.net ,unicom-hl ,iliad.fr,shawcable.net ,telefonica.com.br
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Next

Return to Breaking News