Field Notes Michigan

DeerCamp

Re: Field Notes Michigan

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:52 am

Well I was back at it again on the 5th, I had to work and had class but I was able to pull off an afternoon hunt that resulted in 0 deer. I was hunting in my dec stand. The wind was blowing to the west.

On the 7th I went back out and I was in stand around 3. It was 83 outside and I didn’t expect much deer movement, but the wind was blowing north so I couldn’t miss out on the opportunity to hunt a new stand. I saw 7 deer, 1 spike. The first group came in at 5:27 and stayed eating acorns till 6:18. I again saw deer at 6:34 and then right before dark.

On the 8th I was in stand at 6:19am. I stayed till almost 9:30 and didn’t see a deer. The temp was about 47 and I had a wind blowing west.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 am

Today I get to pick up my first deer from the processor!! I hunted all last weekend and saw nothing. Monday evening I got into the stand around 5:30 and at about 6:15-6:20 I heard some loud twig snaps coming from the trail heading out into the apple orchards where my stand is positioned. 7 does come out about 25 yards right in front of me and I liked the third one in line. I drew my bow back and they didn't see or hear a thing. I gave out a little yelp to freeze her and then that is when I panicked and hesitated for a few seconds. They were all looking right at me and ready to take off, and right before they started to run away I gave out another little yelp and thankfully she froze again and I put my brand new Carbon Express arrow into her. She took off back on the trail she came from and went about 60 yards and died not too long after. I was waiting in the tree and I was so excited and full of adrenaline I could barely stay up there. I called and texted just about everyone in my phone book and then finally my father came to help me track her. I followed the deer path for about 20 yards and that is when I found the blood trail. It took me about 10 more minutes of following the trail of blood until I found her. I dragged her out and it was pretty tough through the thick woods I was in not to mention the thorn apple trees that cut up both my arms! But it was well worth it when I got out. I dressed her myself and opened her up to get all the heat out of her and then waited till morning for the processor to open and it was easily one of the best nights in my life. This is something I will do for the rest of my life. I am so glad that I was able to do this on my own, on private land and better yet, with a bow. Can't wait to pick her up and eat some good back strap!! Reading these posts of people taking deer on this forum get me so excited and pumped up, I can't wait to get into my stand and hunt all day, I am just glad to finally be able to post my own success story!!

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Well I only had 3 days to hunt and the heat did not help at all. I only saw one doe, that acted extremely strange, and that was it. My trails cameras are loaded to the brim with hundreds of does and about ten individual bucks, none shooters. Only bad part is 90% of the pictures are at night. So until Nov. 18th my hunting done, back to Chicago, YUCK!!!

TreestandSparty

Postby TreestandSparty » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Went out for first time on Sat morning. (10-8-11) I hunt on this sweet 100 acre farm in the thumb. I was last there at the end of August. Setting up my stands and checking things out. . As usual I seen plenty of tracks and deer. Last Sat... no deer and no fresh tracks. ???? With 3 weekends of early hunts, Could the deer already been knocked off their routine? I always see deer...so I am abit baffled right now.

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:46 am

Going out this evening for the first time since last saturday! I hunted at my buddies property in Howell last weekend and had a little 4 pt come up on me as I was still getting situated in the tree stand. He never looked up at me but I am pretty sure he could smell me. About 10 minutes later he took off back where he came from. Still a pretty cool sight. I was wondering what is everyones opinion on hunting in warmer weather. I hunted a few weeks ago when it was almost 80 out and saw only a doe early in the morning, then I got eaten alive by the mosquitos. Today it is 55 out and sunny, is this still too warm? Will the movement be slow still?

justincasei812

Postby justincasei812 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:42 am

Heading to the U.P. tonight at midnight. Long drive ahead, 7 1/2 hrs to the western side of the U.P. Should be getting there just in time for breakfast. The weather report is speculating about 3-6 inches of snow for tomorrow. Sounds like it will be wet but snow on the ground is good probably will not stick with all the warm weather but maybe a jump start for the deer to start moving. Our advanced party is already there and most of our stands are in place and ready to go. Just a few things to do tomorrow and will be hunting for the evening hunt.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Best of luck.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:04 pm

16 hours I'll be in the air, heading to Flint!
Sadly no snow in the forecast
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Good luck to everyone that will able to hunt opening day of rifle. Let everyone else know what you see. I am leaving Chicago as early as possible Friday morning in hopes if being able to hunt that evening. Be safe, good luck and good hunting!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:55 am

Day 1
Lots of fog. Viz = < 20 yards Til about 10 am
Saw 1 fork and 1 unk in am, heard very few shots
Sat all day, had 12-14 doe come in after shooting hours
Family took a 8,6 and a 4 in the pm all around 5:30
80% of the corn is still in :-(

Day 2
Busted by a herd of doe. Few shots fired this am
I'm almost a Popsicle at the moment. Wind is 20kt and COLD
My observations lead me to believe much breeding has taken place, bucks that are left are locked down with the remaining does in heat
Peak chase appears to have been much earlier this year in these parts
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan