arrow speed

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Lot to Learn

arrow speed

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:29 pm

See if you some of you fine folks can help me out, ONCE AGAIN!!   The shop where I bought my bow uses a paint ball device to figure arrow speed. I know it is not acurate but hoping someone is shooting similiar set up and can let me know roughly what speed they are shooting. Bowtech Airborne101, 60lb, 29 1/2" draw, goldtip xt 8.2 gpi 100 grain field point. The machine is telling me 278 fps. I know that is not right. I shot a heavier arrow through and got 298. I shot a smaller target arrow and got 335.   Anyone have anything I can realistic expect to be shooting? Thanks.  Also, I see a few central IL people here, what shop do you use?

djohns13

RE: arrow speed

Postby djohns13 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:24 am

Hey there Lot to Learn, the only way to truly measure the actual speed of your arrow is to shoot several times through a chronograph and then average the results.

With that being said, however, I shoot a Martin Bengal, 60 lb. draw, 29 inch draw, Gold tips with blazer vanes and 100 grain tips.  So our set up is very comparable although your bow might have a little more energy (and therefore speed) than mine but that is really debatable.  My total arrow weight is 353 grains and my arrow speed is 273 feet per second.

I think your 278 is in the ballpark.  I understand you want as much speed as possible but keep in mind that in the past villages have been fed with low poundage longbows and crooked arrows that traveled less than 100 fps.  For hunting purposes, it will always come down to a razor sharp broadhead and shot placement.  Your current setup is more than enough to keep your freezer stocked and your trophy room full. 

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:22 am

speed only helps ya miss faster :D Dont worry about the numbers, just get good with your bow.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:34 am

i agree its arrow  placement skill that gets the job done not speed.keep shooting
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:05 am

Completely agree with all of you on what is really important. Just would like to know what I am shooting and what kind of energy the bow is producing.  There is another shop near me that I am pretty sure has a chrono. I feel bad about taking the bow there since I bought elsewhere.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:31 am

chronograph
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Just make sure you buy something before you ask to use the chronograph!

If the shop has decent customer service and wants to grow their business, they will be glad to chrono for you.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:05 am

unfortunately I never have trouble buying something!! I have a problem.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

thats okay admitting it is the first step to recovery[:D]

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

LTL...  278 sounds about right for that bow.  Bowtech usually puts a card on the new bow stating what it chrono'd at in the factory, however you will probably never shoot that fast again.  Once you put your heavier than IBO weight arrow,D-loop,kisser button, peep sight, etc....... on your bow these all steal a few feet per second from your bow.  I shoot an 07 Guardian (70lb)and it shot 311 fps at the factory, and with the full hunting set up, I'm only getting about 292.  So that being said with your 60lb draw 278 is about right.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting