Fulton County "Double"

Bryan78

Fulton County "Double"

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Taken both by: Bryan78

Date: November 12, 2011

Weapon used: Winchester Model 1300 12 ga. with Winchester 12 ga. 1 ounce rifled slug

Stats: Buck: 10 points (with 1 kicker) rough green score 141.5 180-200 pounds
Doe: 150-170 pounds

Well finally after ten years of hunting in Fulton County I was able to kill not one, but two deer during Saturday’s Firearm Season opener.

About 20 minutes after 7:00 this big ol’ buck came out of a standing cornfield around 250-300 yards out and at first I thought he was going away from me until I picked up my binoculars and saw that he was trotting towards me so I sat them down and got my trusty ol’ Winchester and got down on one knee and just held there.

At first he stopped at a straight frontal stance and looked at me for a few seconds and thought “oh hell I don’t want to try to do a frontal shot” but I held my fire and he started moving towards me again only this time zigzagging and closed to about 50-60 yards and went broadside and I thought he was going to bolt so I grunted at him and he stopped and I pulled the trigger and he bucked up and I knew I hit him in the shoulder instantly and he fell down and tried to get back up and run off so I charged at him like bat out of hell cause come hell or high water, he wasn’t getting away and after a couple times of trying to get up he finally just laid there and looked at me knowing this was the end and that his fate was sealed. At 20 yards I pulled up and fired the lethal shot and his head fell over and it was done and he was mine.

Called my buddy to come help me, called my parents to tell them the good news and dad told me to calm down and catch my breath before I hyperventilated but I was just out of breath from running at him at a full sprint. My buddy lost a nice 8 pointer a couple of years ago in the same field and the buck acted like he was dead so my buddy called his dad to get the four wheeler and the buck got up and took off and after a three hour manhunt in a standing cornfield we found him and he took off across the street and got shot by someone over there so this buck was not getting away from me and I would have beaten him to death with my gun if that is what it would have taken.

After checking him in Rochester, I took him to a processor and my buddy and I got back out to his parents house and we went back out for an afternoon hunt, he walked all the way to the other side of this field and I went back to my morning place (that is where I mostly hunt there anyways) set my chair and gun down and took my coat off cause I starting to sweat like a stuck hog, looked around, grabbed my gun and soon as my butt hit the seat I heard a noise off to my left and when I looked over there was this doe about 20 yards away trying to get up but couldn’t, I charged her and shot her dead right as my buddy got set up, so he walked all the way back to get the 4 wheeler (poor fella) and I got to looking at my doe and noticed she had already been shot once (spine shot) and was paralyzed from the mid section back. Poor girl had flies and maggots on the wound. We guessed one of the guys in adjacent woods had shot her and guessed she was in the standing cornfield (can’t believe they didn’t try to find her). I just hope she wasn’t in any pain for that entire duration because that would have been agonizing. So I took her to town and checked her in at the same place and the one guy looked at me funny and I said “Yup back again already.”

I would like to get my buck scored when I get it back from the taxidermist but a guy at the processor did a rough green score and got 141.5. All in all, I couldn’t have asked for a better weekend!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kellory

Re: Fulton County "Double"

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Very nice buck, and I am glad you put the doe out of her misery. Your technique is a bit unorthodox, but you enthusism is clearly showing!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:47 am

kellory wrote:Very nice buck, and I am glad you put the doe out of her misery. Your technique is a bit unorthodox, but you enthusism is clearly showing!

It is, but I also didn't want to take a long distance kill shot and accidently shoot off and antler. I didn't get close enough for him to hit me with an antler or anything. The closer the better is what I say. This is the biggest buck I have ever taken, so I guess I also did it out of excitement (also have a 7pt on the wall, and I took a buton buck a few years ago.) As far as that doe, bless her heart, I just hope she wasn't in any pain.

Thanks for the complement!

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:57 am

That is a beautiful buck, congrats.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:32 am

Great job! Your freeze should be overflowing.

Saturday morning in Indiana was a great day. I took a huge nine pointer at 8 a.m. and my dad took a four pointer at 8:30 a.m. The rut is definitely on in Indiana.
Semper Fi,

Joe

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Bryan78 wrote:
kellory wrote:Very nice buck, and I am glad you put the doe out of her misery. Your technique is a bit unorthodox, but you enthusism is clearly showing!

It is, but I also didn't want to take a long distance kill shot and accidently shoot off and antler. I didn't get close enough for him to hit me with an antler or anything. The closer the better is what I say. This is the biggest buck I have ever taken, so I guess I also did it out of excitement (also have a 7pt on the wall, and I took a buton buck a few years ago.) As far as that doe, bless her heart, I just hope she wasn't in any pain.

Thanks for the complement!

I have a cousin who was nearly run over by a deer as it tried to exit a deer drive. at about 10 yards, he fired (I think in self defense ;) ) and dropped it. but it did not die fast enough for him. So he loaded another .410 slug in the singleshot shotgun and at about 3-4 feet...missed...twice! I think that deer died of disgust! Being close does not always help, and a careful shot will not endanger your trophy. Well done sir. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Indiana