How has the rut activity been

ChasePhase

How has the rut activity been

Postby ChasePhase » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:36 am

Been seeing a lot more rubs and scrapes as well as bucks moving in daylight hours. Bucks have been curiously checking out some does too.

How has your area activity been?
http://NYHuntClub.com
or Facebook us

Joel Spring

Re: How has the rut activity been

Postby Joel Spring » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:42 am

About the same here. Some freshened scrapes yesterday, some small rubs. (WNY)
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

highridgehunter

Postby highridgehunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 am

Joel Spring wrote:About the same here. Some freshened scrapes yesterday, some small rubs. (WNY)

Fri 11/11-Sun 11/13 saw a ton of activity. Sun it was in full swing from 8 a.m. to 8:30 saw 3 bucks chasing does. My brother (Huntin about 300 yds away from me) saw a beautiful shooter (120-130) buck chasing another doe the same time I had all the action.

mattsolo3

Postby mattsolo3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:49 am

I hunt in Erie and Wyoming County of NY. Smaller bucks chasing does the last few weeks of October. The first 2 weeks of Nov saw a marked increase in Scrape activity. Buck movement is now all times of the day and sightings are just as common from 10-2 as early or late in the day. Have not seen a shooter buck yet on my place but now is when the big boys start moving around and become vulnerable. Last year we shot 4 bucks that were 3 1/2 years or older and ranged from 120 - 154 class animals. All day sits are the way to go if you can stand it. If an early season pattern or set-up didn't work for a shooter, now is the time to try and get lucky hunting near core doe areas with a hot doe or two. Or travel corridors these big guys like to use. If you just want to whack any buck just look for the does and the bucks will be close by. I was out this past weekend and just saw a few smaller bucks but they were actively moving and chasing does . We still have standing corn but coming off this week which might help a bit with sightings. Lots of coyotes too this year might be having an impact on moving deer away, not so much on the predation.

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:52 am

I'll agree with the 11/11 -- 11/13 being good. On 11/12 I saw three bucks in six hours, and the spot I was hunting is not what you'd call great habitat. Had a spike come right in to some doe-in-heat, while a very nice 8 pointer stood back at 47 yards -- wide open and broadside, but beyond my archery abilities to guarantee a good hit.

Haven't been out much this week, but activity seemed to dwindle when the temps rose again. It's cold today, and I'm hoping for a good evening on stand.

Joel
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

Woodcutter4x4

Postby Woodcutter4x4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Last time i was out which was monday turkey hunting and seen bucks moving good had a nice and wide 10 pointer walking with his nose to the ground at 35 yards

Return to New York