Zone 5

Don_deerhunting

Zone 5

Postby Don_deerhunting » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi all;

I'm thinking of trying Zone 5 this year for shotgun season, more specifically around Erving State Forest or Wendell State Forest - probably during a week day to avoid any weekend "crowding" ....

Anybody got any advice - either for or against ? Any suggestions or specific areas that are better ? I'm a little rusty since I haven't hunted in a few years, so I'll be happy for the experience and some meat, not any trophy ...

thanks

Don :ugeek:

heightman

Re: Zone 5

Postby heightman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Hey Don
If I may suggest, you may consider driving just a few more miles to just over the French King Bridge that would put you in Zone4N. Although it has been several years since I hunted that area I always found it to have decent numbers of deer and not to much hunting pressure. There is one spot along the river where deer always seemed to "hide" during the shotgun season. Anytime that my then hunting buddies and I would make a push through that area we always jumped many deer out of it. We did not get many shot's at them mainly due to the fact that the deer can run in many different directions to seek safety but all of which require them to run through open fields. However we did take a few.
I am not sure if this area has been developed since my last trip out there. But I am pretty much sure that not much has changed as most of surrounding area is used for cattle corn and also in a flood plain area so I would say that home building at best was very scarce. If you would like to find out more about this area send me a private message. I can give you it's exact location. I would prefer not to post it in the forum as it may cause too many people to go and check it out. The one thing I do not want to do is tick off the local hunters that were kind enough to let us hunt with them and inform us on just were the deer tend to hide when pressured.
This area is simple to find and getting "lost" is next to impossible. It is surrounded by roads or the river just head downhill and you are out within an hour or so.

Don_deerhunting

Re: Zone 5

Postby Don_deerhunting » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:29 pm

thanks HeightMan ! I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Good luck 2 u 2 !!
:ugeek:

Return to Massachusetts