good scent lock base suit?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
calkins14

good scent lock base suit?

Postby calkins14 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Hunting from a ground blind. What advice do you guys give for scent control? I think I'm doing the correct things but now I'm thinking that I need a silver lined base layer suit for more scent control. Thinking of bathing in deer urine - just kidding. Advice is appreciated. I've seen 4 does about 125 yards out one evening but no closer out of 4 times.

mnslayer

Re: good scent lock base suit?

Postby mnslayer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Save your money just use basic unscented products soap, deoderant ect. use scents to distract them such as doe urine. you will never be able to fool the nose of a deer.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm

mnslayer wrote:Save your money just use basic unscented products soap, deoderant ect. use scents to distract them such as doe urine. you will never be able to fool the nose of a deer.

Mnslayer has it right, don't waste your money. That deer's nose is as good as any dog's nose, and scentloc and other brands have been tested with police tracking dogs for excape convicts. It did not do the "cons" any good. You can reduce scent with clean unscented soaps, and baking soda to absorb scent, but you can not eliminate it completely. Deer can tell if a new deer is around, or if a known deer has been by recently, by scent alone. Tarsal glands and urine smell will tell them buck or doe, age and rut. Best thing you can do is hunt the wind, and be very clean. Good luck.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

calkins14

Postby calkins14 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. Bought some fresh earth wafers and some doe urine and wicks. Pinned on 3 wafers and put out 2 urine soaked wicks on each side of my ground blind. Had a 10 pointer walk bye 40 yards out. He roamed around and grazed for 15 minutes - very exciting. Could not get him closer. I wasn't confident enough at that distance to take a shot. He would have been my first deer at the tender age of 58. Just started last year. I don't think he ever knew I was there.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:16 pm

calkins14 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Bought some fresh earth wafers and some doe urine and wicks. Pinned on 3 wafers and put out 2 urine soaked wicks on each side of my ground blind. Had a 10 pointer walk bye 40 yards out. He roamed around and grazed for 15 minutes - very exciting. Could not get him closer. I wasn't confident enough at that distance to take a shot. He would have been my first deer at the tender age of 58. Just started last year. I don't think he ever knew I was there.

I am sorry to tell you, but you are already addicted and there is no known cure! Welcome to the ranks!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Those dirt wafers are a awesome cover scent. You should only need to use just one wafer at a time. Try the best you can to smell like your surroundings in the woods. Some will say the best way is to be scent free, but its near impossible to be 100% scent free. I always use a cover scent. Seems to work well. If you wash your hunting clothes in cold water and baking soda, then let them dry outside in the fresh air, you should be good. Remember to wash your body with scent free soap before you head out, and dry yourself with a non-scented towel too. Thats what works well for me. Good luck.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to Best Practices