Deer Kills Hunter

Wanderer

Deer Kills Hunter

Postby Wanderer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:31 am

Watch out Hoosier hunters. It's a two way street out there. I know we've talked about this on the forum, but this is the first time I've heard of a hunter's death by deer.
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2011311169959

Ohio farms

Re: Deer Kills Hunter

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Sad story. This should be a cautionary tale for those of us ( not me) who would "finish off" a deer with a knife. I seem to remember a thread on that issue a while back in which more than a few of us promoted the use of a knife to finish off a wounded deer. Seems cruel and down right dangerous.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Re: Deer Kills Hunter

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Sad story. This should be a cautionary tale for those of us ( not me) who would "finish off" a deer with a knife. I seem to remember a thread on that issue a while back in which more than a few of us promoted the use of a knife to finish off a wounded deer. Seems cruel and down right dangerous.

I had to do it a couple of years ago. Due to a car door, and a kid, I ended up with just one useable crossbow bolt. I spine shot a deer, and it refused to die like it was suposed to, and I had to finish it off with my knife. No antlers to worry about, and I pinned it to the ground with a small tree and stood on the tree while I slashed the jugular. It was over fast. I didn't like scaring the deer, but it was safe enough, and quick. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Indiana