Opening Day

pickleguy

Re: Opening Day

Postby pickleguy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:55 am

Let's be optimistic boys, their is a 50 % chance it won't rain.
Good luck to you all:)
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Bring on the rain I have been waiting to test out my new stand. I'll be hunting shawano co. right along the waupaca county line.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:24 pm

You can shoot em, butcher em, and grill em up all in one spot. :D
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Looks good boys, bbut does it come in a backpack version? :) I hope it is in a good location for deer, or you will have the same problem the mechanic had when he rebuilt a small plane in his basement.....with no door big enough to remove it! :lol: Best of luck gentlemen, will you camo it, or just let it weather?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:35 pm

lmao @ pgchambers. Kellroy I am going to camo it next year. Everyone said I should wait at least 4 months before painting treated lumber and my father in law didn't want me painting it so close to hunting season. This year we just stuck some hemlocks branches and small trees around where we cleared out some shooting lanes.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Just use a solid(or even semi-solid/transparent) water-based/latex stain. Paint..if you didn't know..should be primed first. Stain you just put right on. Of course it's just a deer stand..but if you're worried about painting it too soon then you must be worried about doing it right :D You could water the paint down though too..to make it stain-ish.

I've got tons of it that I pick up from Lowes and SW etc in their "mistint" section. SW's...at least where I'm at..is only $2 a gallon. Some of that stuff is $40+ retail :shock: Or try Freecycle.

That's if you need to get something yet....

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

thanks for the tips. I was looking at the camo paint they sell at Fleet Farm but it is very expensive. Or I was just thinking to paint it brown and use green and black spray paint to break up the pattern?

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Well, I think the meteorologists finally got it figured out for this weekend's weather forecast. Sounds like good snow from Barron, Ladysmith, and areas to the north, coming in tomorrow evening. Might see some accumulation for west-central portions over Sat. night, but its gonna be light. I can live with that. Good luck fellow hunters, stay safe.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:50 pm

rmontez wrote:thanks for the tips. I was looking at the camo paint they sell at Fleet Farm but it is very expensive. Or I was just thinking to paint it brown and use green and black spray paint to break up the pattern?

That'd work too..although I'd stay away from semi-gloss and gloss spray paint :lol:

You can also mix paint/stains together to lighten/darken or even change colors. And you may have to visit those stores a # of times before you even come across some "mistints" or at least any camo-type colors. Ya never know when they're going to screw-up on colors(sometimes even on 5gal buckets). Oh..and after you check the first time..my guess is you won't see much if any exterior mistints for awhile. Unless you're down south. I've even seen spray cans in the mis-tint sections. Returns and discontinued ones.

BTW..you could probably get away with using regular exterior paint. Good chance of it peeling/blistering or ? in the future..but it's just a deer stand. Some of these paints nowadays are self-priming as well(just ignore the 2 coat recommendation/requirement).

willypete

Postby willypete » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Well it looks like the Eau Claire area should be dry for a morning afternoon hunt. Though a late day hunt may get a little wet.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin