1 pin out to 30 yards.

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
peepsight

1 pin out to 30 yards.

Postby peepsight » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:17 pm

I went through the trouble of finding a Fuse sight with 5 pins and now I regret it.  Because the new bow I shoot shoots my new arrows from 10 to 30 yards with the 30 yard pin.  The 20 yard pin is sitting right  on top of the 30. 
        It is rather faster than the old Bear 44 Magnum I used to shoot, and i should have just transferred the old sight to my newer Bowtech "Old Glory" and have been done with it.
        Do any of you guys shoot those one pin sights that dial up and down a scale, and would that be a better solution for my setup?

passin through

RE: 1 pin out to 30 yards.

Postby passin through » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Try maybe a pendelum if 30 is as far as you are going to poke......???

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:37 pm

im a one pin shooter myself and have perused the new sights as my old toxonics is going pack it in someday. i like the looks of the foxfire by carolina archery products. like passin through stated there are many pendulums out there. the one i like the best and got the best ratings is the trophy ridge mantis.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:48 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through

Try maybe a pendelum if 30 is as far as you are going to poke......???

I have always had trouble judging distance.  I can't begin to tell you how many shots I missed because I used the wrong pin.  I bought a new bow and I noticed just like you did that my 20 and 30 yard pins were almost touching.  Where I hunt, it is all deep woods.  I'm not going to get a shot out much farther than 40 yards anyway.  So, I purchased a TruGlo Pendulum Sight and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made!  Two of my hunting buddies have even switched over to pendulum sights.  All you do is sight it in on the ground and when you get up in your stand it automatically compensates out to 35 yards.  I highly recommend it!!!

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:02 pm

I bought the bowtech 82nd airborn, and I use the g-5 sight that has the 5th pin that can adjust out to say 100 yards I would never use it that far but it has it, Ilike the sight and Like you I use my top pin for 20-30 yards and so on...I like the sight but sounds like the pendalum sight sounds very look worthy...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:31 am

I never understood how you guys do it...look through a tiny little hole and try to line up on a certain colored pin amongst several while looking for ths sweet spot...lord that hurt my eyes just thinking about it....I shoot right handed but am left eye dominate...I shoot instinctive and fingers...tried several times to do the sight thing...pendulum and pins...to say the practices were misreable is mild...exspensive WOW....lost arrows ...split carbons and bent aluminums....judging distance in the woods is second nature to me now ...because I practice from my stands with a deer target and differant distances...I also have a deer decoy set up next to the gun range and do ground work there...yep hats off to you....I have a hard enough time controlling my breathing when I see the deer I want to take ...let alone dealing with peeps pins and what not....lol

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:02 am

i always had a respect for instinctive shooters. ive tried but never could seem to master it.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:39 am

Sounds like from a hunting perspective you could probably get away with a single pin sight, but here is another viewpoint for you to think about.

I have found that the best way to become very accurate at any distance is to become a good shot at a further distance.  For instance, 40 yard shots were troublesome so I started shooting 50 and 60.  Once I was decent at these I went back to 40 and didn't have any trouble.  My point is to keep the 30 yard pin as your hunting pin but leave the others so that you can vary your practice.  Become good at 50-60 yards on the range and the 30 yard shots in the woods will seem like a lay-up.  Just my opinion.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:08 am

I have a couple of Tru-Glo adjustable One Pin Sights . I think they are both Range - Rovers . Easy to use . No chance of using the wrong pin !

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:44 am

go with what djohns said about practicing 50/60 yards & 40 will be a chip shot & 20 you will be robin hoodish i shot a pendalum for about 4 years an old keller but when fiber optic pins came out i swapped to them & i wont go back
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting