how often ????

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
passin through

RE: how often ????

Postby passin through » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:37 pm

I generally shoot 10-50 everyday most weeks in the back yard.  I shoot various distances and from standing or sitting.  When I'm at the camp I shoot from a 18 ft plat form we rednecked together this spring.  I like to shoot and will introduce various things into my routine to keep it from being routine...I have my wife call the target or I play horse if I've got a buddy shooting with me....draw and pivot 180 to shoot behind...ect.  In boredom  other day I backed way off and with no fore knowledge of the range started walking and shooting towards the target ...every few steps changing the yardage (course you stop to draw and shoot)  but set off at a good pace.... I've never had to put a follow up shot in an animal on the ground but that was the scenario I was going through...

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:03 pm

Every  Chance i get, usually 3-4 times a week. sometimes its just in the yard other times its at the range. I figure a little practice is better than no practice.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 pm

I shoot about 24 times everyday when possible, if not its no more than a day apart. I shoot ground level at various distances, and also up in tree stands. I also shoot certain angles in case that particular good on shows up. I hold tight arrow groups doing this routine. Ive stopped for a week at one point when I was away, and it took a little to get back to where I was..Its just practice, practice, and more practice, but well worth it.

KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Not nearly enough.  I used to practice several times a week, then my wife told me that it was against the law to shoot my bow outside in town.  Well I couldn't believe that so I checked the local city ordanances - sure enough, a bow is considered a firearm, as are BB guns and pellet guns, so no shooting within the city limits unless I want to risk confiscation of my bow.  I've got a target in my basement, but best I can do is a 7 yard shot, and after a while that's not a whole lot fun.

The local park does have an archery range so I try to get there once a week, but other than that if I'm not visiting our farm, I'm not shooting much.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:20 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Not nearly enough.  I used to practice several times a week, then my wife told me that it was against the law to shoot my bow outside in town. 

Thats funny my wife told me the same thing. I shot all the time in the back yard. I knew she was right so I found a park I can shoot at. 

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:31 am

ranwin thats sad man, your city ...lol ...cant shoot in town ?some of are biggest bucks around here are killed in the city limits with bows & guns i actualy have a chunk of land in the city limits my buds granny owns we gun hunt & it is in the city limits we just dont shoot towards town
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting