name that disease

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
allthingshunting

name that disease

Postby allthingshunting » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:07 am

Let's play a quick game....i have attached a trail camera photo, who can identify the affliction from which this deer suffers?  contagious?  fatal?  can it still be eaten if shot?  i have no idea what it is, any info would be great.

Dan Schmidt

RE: name that disease

Postby Dan Schmidt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 am

Wart-like growths found on the skin of white-tailed deer and other members of the deer family are fibromas. They are popularly referred to as skin tumors, or simply warts. Histopathologists identify skin tumors from deer as papillomas, fibromas, or papillofibromas depending upon the predominate type of tissue making up the tumor. (MDNR)

The venison is still good to eat. The warts come off with the hide.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:03 am

i don't think the picture came through as clear on the website as it does on my plasma computer screen at a higher resolution.

I am 98% certain these are not warts.  The areas seem to be open sores as opposed to something above the hide.

Does this change your diagnosis?

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:48 am

Wart is probably the wrong term, but, yes, the diagnosis is the same. The viral condition is in the skin. Not all growths, lesions, etc., are the same. Some are flat, some actually fall off and bleed, etc. Fibromas and papillomas eventually falls off and disappear, as they are both caused by viruses. Hope this helps!

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 pm

Hey Dan -  Have you ever seen a deer that was missing a large patch of hair. We got one a couple years ago that was missing hair on a +/- 12"x12" section of hide on top and to the side of his back. I thought that it might be mainge. It was strange since it was almost square. I also thought that it might have been hit by a car at one time.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Kydeerhunter03

Postby Kydeerhunter03 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:07 pm

I seen a doe on opening day with these "warts" I was actually gonna shoot her, but couldnt get a shot off. I heard the venison is still good to eat though.

Return to Photo Corner