hot mah-ma

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bckklr

hot mah-ma

Postby bckklr » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:23 am

has anyone bought or heard the new hot mah ma call from woods wise? its supposed to make estrous sounds that have never been reproduced in a call  until now ?
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Woods Walker

RE: hot mah-ma

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 am

Inspector Gadget strikes again!  [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:33 am

Give me a True-talker and a recording of the deer noise, and I can match it.  Chances are I won't even need the True-talker, and will do it with just my mouth or maybe mouth and hands. 

Oh drat!  I was just mumbling to myself and did a breeding bawl.  Jay, the collie, came running in from the other room and now wants to know where the deer is. 

I gotta watch what I say around this house.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:07 pm

im with shaman . perfect bleats can be done without a call. one less thing you have to carry.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:11 pm

ORIGINAL: howhill1

im with shaman . perfect bleats can be done without a call. one less thing you have to carry.

And Peter-cotton-tail will come hoppin` down the bunny trail....

[8|]
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:57 pm

peter fidducia the deer doctor has an excellent DVD called tactics for talking to deer ,and he shows you the proper sounds and where and when to use them.a lot of calls can be made with your mouth,some are better with the gadgets.i enjoyed the tape and lots of useful info,he dont try to sell anything either[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:49 pm

i have a pen of does at home and i just inject them with the appropriate hormones to make them come into estrous whenever i want. then i just tie one to my stand the night before a hunt and wait for the bucks to come to me. so im not sure what you need a call for, you all use does, right?

no, i think i've seen commercials for that call, but havent tried it. i have been using the primos can calls for doe calls the last couple years. i use them every year, but am yet to feel like they actually work for me. im not giving up faith, im going to keep carrying them and using them, but as of yet i cant personally attest to them actually working. grunting, snort-wheezing, and rattling i can personally attest to being great, but no doe calls yet.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:13 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

peter fidducia the deer doctor has an excellent DVD called tactics for talking to deer ,and he shows you the proper sounds and where and when to use them.a lot of calls can be made with your mouth,some are better with the gadgets.i enjoyed the tape and lots of useful info,he dont try to sell anything either[;)]

I will second that.  Peter Fidducia did the best job I have found of systematizing deer vocalizations and putting them into an understandable framework. I taught both my sons off that DVD.

Has the deer doctor fallen on hard times?  I know his book club folded up. He and Kate used to do a bang-up job. I just haven't heard anything from him in a while-- we don't get any of the outdoor channels anymore. KYHillChick swears by Kate's cookbooks.  I use her venison sausage recipe.

However, back to the subject.  I would go further and say you can make passable copies of all deer vocalizations with a little practice.  The problem is the practicality. I still carry a call or two simply because it is easier to pull off a consistent call.  Usually around late October  I start having sinus trouble.  There is nothing worse than trying to call, getting a tickle in your throat, and have that in turn set off a coughing jag. 

That's also why I don't do much with bare yelping to turkeys anymore.  I still purr and cluck with just my mouth. Yelping really wears out your voice in a hurry. 

On the other hand, I would encourage everyone to learn how to do a grunt, bleat, and a snort with just their own voice.  It really comes in handy for times when you have a skittish deer that needs to be stopped or called back in. The grunt comes from sucking air back over my chords in reverse to make a croak.  I make the bleats and bawls by sticking my tongue behind my back teeth and then rolling the middle up and over and then saying "Maaaa."  The sound comes out from either side of my tongue. The snort used to be easy before I grew the beard--much harder now.  I put my upper lip over my lower lip and yip. With a little practice you can get the right sound. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:41 am

hopefully he will i like rabbit to.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:17 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: howhill1

And Peter-cotton-tail will come hoppin` down the bunny trail....

[8|]

Are you saying that game cannot be called by someone using their mouth/hands only? 
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions