Frozen meat

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Grizzly

Frozen meat

Postby Grizzly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:39 am

I thawed out some veison and was wondering if I could refreeze it. It's still in the vacum pack.

FFKEVIN

RE: Frozen meat

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:21 am

[font=tahoma]From the USDA website - [/font]
[font=tahoma][color=#000000][/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Is it safe to refreeze food that has thawed completely?[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through defrosting.
[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. And if previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.
[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma]http://www.fsis.usda.gov/help/faqs_hotline_preparation/index.asp

[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 am

I think just to be safe you better eat it [;)]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:28 am

Thanks FFKEVIN, I don't want to waste good meat..

Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:29 am

I'd love to cook it all but it's just me and the wife tonight for dinner.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:12 am

What time is dinner?[:D]
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Great question, I actually have been wondering this very thing for a couple years. I grind up some of my own deer at home and just use it as hamburger, but sometimes it makes it to the freezer before i get a chance to grind it. So then I thaw it and grind it, but have never been sure if it is safe to refreeze it. I had been told that it is not safe to do that, but my parents told me that, who heard it from their parents, who didn't really know because before that were days of the "ice box". I'm glad someone posted this question, and that someone else had a good answer.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:26 pm

ORIGINAL: Grizzly

Thanks FFKEVIN, I don't want to waste good meat..

No problem.  I had the same question about a year ago and after a lot of time searching the internet, I found the answer on that site.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:24 pm

i do it all the time as for the burger thing i often find myself in the same boat so what i do is i cook all the burger and then freeze em up so anytime i want a burger i can pop it in the microwave for 2-3 mins.real time saver[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 am

We freeze the meat that we will grind in 7 gallon bags over night. We do most of the cutting one day, then grind and stuff sausage the next day. The nice thing about freezing it in the gallon bags is that you can thaw it to your need in the microwave without cooking it. The gallon bag is about 7 poinds. It lays pretty flat and can be sliced with a knife after 5 minutes in the microwave. It is still frozen, but softened up enough for good grinding. You also don't have to worry about chipping the big frozen block apart or spoilage in the refrigerator. It takes a long time to cool bulk meat. Just my 2 cents.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Return to General Discussions