Mineral Licks

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
rtf9769

RE: Mineral Licks

Postby rtf9769 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:28 pm

.i thought DEER CANE would help but found out its just an attractant and doesnt have vital minerals deer need in antler development and milk production for does nursing fawns.

Your dirt has the minerals..They should have dug a hole so deep you could fit your four-wheeler in..Tons of minerals to be hand along the way:)

That bag of rack up has them built in, but they get washed into the soil as well..

Interesting "fact" you might want to check out..General soil minerals of your area..See whats in the ground!!

Plain salt blocks put in a repeated place year in and year out, for some time have the basic same effect as the "hype" items..

So deer cane makes them go about getting earth supplied minerals..And rack up adds a few..Not worth 50 bucks imo.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:43 am

TwoTone3,

We make the mix that ranwin33 uses [font=tahoma]except we use a product called ADE minerals, in place of the trace minerals.  It has all the same trace minerals but also has Vitamin A, D, & E. [/font]
[font=tahoma]([/font][font=tahoma]http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Selector/Beef/ADE-Mineral.aspx[/font][font=tahoma][color=#ff0000] )[/color][/font]
[font=tahoma]Just like in humans, the vitamins help the deer's body absorb the minerals.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]An updated price for this mix is around $70 for 200 lbs.  It is way cheaper than you can buy any of the premixed commercial minerals and you know it has everything your deer need!  We have 2 licks on our property.  We put 50 lbs out in each lick in the spring and 50 lbs in each lick in the fall.  There are craters where the licks have been dug up.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Di-Calcium Phosphate - $23 for 50 lbs[/font]
[font=tahoma]ADE Minerals - $22 for 50 lbs (you need two bags)[/font]
[font=tahoma]Stock Salt - $5 for a 50 lbs[/font]
[font=tahoma](Dry molasses - $12 for 50 lbs)  [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]We add the molasses at first for an attractant, but after they know where the lick is, you don't need it any more.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Kevin  [/font]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:13 am

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

TwoTone3,

We make the mix that ranwin33 uses [font=tahoma]except we use a product called ADE minerals, in place of the trace minerals.  It has all the same trace minerals but also has Vitamin A, D, & E. [/font]
[font=tahoma]([/font][font=tahoma]http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Selector/Beef/ADE-Mineral.aspx[/font][font=tahoma][color=#ff0000] )[/color][/font]
[font=tahoma]Just like in humans, the vitamins help the deer's body absorb the minerals.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]An updated price for this mix is around $70 for 200 lbs.  It is way cheaper than you can buy any of the premixed commercial minerals and you know it has everything your deer need!  We have 2 licks on our property.  We put 50 lbs out in each lick in the spring and 50 lbs in each lick in the fall.  There are craters where the licks have been dug up.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Di-Calcium Phosphate - $23 for 50 lbs[/font]
[font=tahoma]ADE Minerals - $22 for 50 lbs (you need two bags)[/font]
[font=tahoma]Stock Salt - $5 for a 50 lbs[/font]
[font=tahoma](Dry molasses - $12 for 50 lbs)  [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]We add the molasses at first for an attractant, but after they know where the lick is, you don't need it any more.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Kevin  [/font]
While deer are attracted to the salt used in mineral salt arractants ...ther is no known researched evidence of deer being able to beneifit from mineral supplements in a wild enviroment. Deer are not humans and do not digest food like humans.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

burris

Postby burris » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:29 am

I make my own mineral lick. In the mixture I use 1 -50# bag of dicalcium phosphat, 1- 50# bag of mineral salt,and 1-50# bag of feed grade lime (calcium). I mix these all together in a big barrel. In the woods I dig up a 4 foot area and mix about 5#'s in the dirt, I replentish the site once a month untill fall. The mixture went up in price, I was paying $24 last year and this year I paid $42, still prenty cheap compared to comercial brands. The deer hit the lick really hard in july, and aug. I get some really nice game cam pictures.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:14 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

While deer are attracted to the salt used in mineral salt arractants ...ther is no known researched evidence of deer being able to beneifit from mineral supplements in a wild enviroment. Deer are not humans and do not digest food like humans.

[font=tahoma]EatDeer - Every time someone asks about mineral licks, you get on here make a big case about how they don't work to everyone who uses them or asks about them. 

So, just because you don't know of any researched evidence about mineral supplementation, that means they do not work?  Do you have proof that mineral supplementation DOES NOT help wild deer? 

I can tell you since we have been putting out mineral licks on our land our bucks antlers have grown at an amazing rate.  There is a huge difference pre and post minerals.  My eyes are all the proof I need.

A bucks antlers are made up of mostly calcium and phosphorus.  You can't tell me that if a buck gets an inadequate amount of these minerals it will not affect his antler growth.  Likewise, you can't tell me that if the buck is getting plenty of these minerals, he will not have a bigger rack.  It is just common sense.

You say that "Deer are not humans and do not digest food like humans."  What does that have to do with vitamin and mineral uptake in the deer's body???
[/font]

[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]Basic biology, animals need minerals to grow and be healthy.  Most of the minerals will come from the food they eat.  But if the food they eat has inadequate mineral levels then the animal will suffer.  Also, animals need vitamins in order for their bodies to absorb and utilize the minerals.  Again, most of the vitamins will come from the food they eat.  But if the food has inadequate vitamins levels then the animal will not be able to use the minerals adequately.  [/color]

It is just like people taking a One-a-day, Centrum, or Flintstones Vitamin.  We should get everything we need from the food we eat, but if we don't eat the right foods, we have to make up the difference some how.

Like I said, all the proof I need is in the photos off my trail cam and my own two eyes.

PS - Learn to use spell check.[/font]
[font=tahoma]

[hr]

[/font][font=tahoma]The following is a much better explanation that I quoted from this great article - [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][size=2]http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=42096&pid=538271[/font]

[font=tahoma]Vitamins[/font][/size]

[font=tahoma]Vitamins are very important to the deer's diet because the organic compounds are needed to support all the deer's life stages. The level of vitamins A, D & E in your feed manages the deer's absorption of calcium and phosphorus affecting not only their skeletal structures and teeth, but also the buck's rack growth and the does fawning nutrition. Let's face it a lot of hunters are becoming to deer management what farmers are to cattle management. We want the highest quality product we can get, and that's large healthy bodies on our deer and we want large racks on our bucks. Along with the right genetics, here's what deer need:[/font]

[align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]1. Vitamin A – The naturally occurring molecule also called retinoid. Affects the deer's [/font][font=tahoma]immune system, cellular function, normal vision, healthy skin and maintenance of the digestive and reproductive systems.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]2. Vitamin D – Responsible for getting the all important bone builders – calcium and phosphorus where they can aid bone health, plus antler development and growth. Without this key nutrient as part of your deer supplemental feed program you will NOT grow larger racks, so make sure your supplemental feeds contain vitamin D![/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]3. Vitamin E – Boosts the deer's immune system to fight off infectious diseases, helps them deal with stressful periods such as harsh winters, droughts and post rut stress, and also is an antioxidant which is associated with selenium.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Minerals[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Minerals are important in a deer's diet because they are essential to antler, bone and tooth development, plus hormone activation and water balance.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Macro Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals that are needed in large amounts, includes; calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium and sulfur.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]1. Calcium – Absorbed through the small intestines then into the bloodstream. Combines with phosphorus to help harden crystal-like substances that create the foundation which strong antler, bone and teeth are developed.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]2. Phosphorus - The second ½ of antler, bone and teeth formation combined with calcium. Important to help regulate the release of energy that fuels the deer's body. Most of a deer's phosphorus content is located in their bones. You don't want your bucks pulling nutrition out of their bones to grow their racks, hence the need for supplementation.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]3. Potassium – Critical to proper pH balance and an aid in digestion. Along with sodium chloride helps to form electrolytes, electrically charged ions that make up a deer's bodily fluids.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]4. Magnesium – Used to make sure calcium is used properly in the body, needed for strong teeth and bones. Helps turn food into energy, assists nerves and muscles.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]5. Sodium – A natural carrier needed for trace minerals. Helps with absorption of amino acids. Animals naturally desire the sodium and chloride found in salt, more so than any other mineral.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]6. Sulfur – Helps in the digestion of foods, found in tendons, ligaments and cartilage.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Trace Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals needed in much smaller amounts by deer. They are copper, iron, zinc, manganese, cobalt, iodine and selenium. These minerals are tied to all systems within the deer's natural development.[/font][/align]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:40 pm

[font=tahoma]EatDeer - Every time someone asks about mineral licks, you get on here make a big case about how they don't work to everyone who uses them or asks about them. 

So, just because you don't know of any researched evidence about mineral supplementation, that means they do not work?  Do you have proof that mineral supplementation DOES NOT help wild deer? 

I can tell you since we have been putting out mineral licks on our land our bucks antlers have grown at an amazing rate.  There is a huge difference pre and post minerals.  My eyes are all the proof I need.

A bucks antlers are made up of mostly calcium and phosphorus.  You can't tell me that if a buck gets an inadequate amount of these minerals it will not affect his antler growth.  Likewise, you can't tell me that if the buck is getting plenty of these minerals, he will not have a bigger rack.  It is just common sense.

You say that "Deer are not humans and do not digest food like humans."  What does that have to do with vitamin and mineral uptake in the deer's body???
[/font]

[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]Basic biology, animals need minerals to grow and be healthy.  Most of the minerals will come from the food they eat.  But if the food they eat has inadequate mineral levels then the animal will suffer.  Also, animals need vitamins in order for their bodies to absorb and utilize the minerals.  Again, most of the vitamins will come from the food they eat.  But if the food has inadequate vitamins levels then the animal will not be able to use the minerals adequately.  [/color]

It is just like people taking a One-a-day, Centrum, or Flintstones Vitamin.  We should get everything we need from the food we eat, but if we don't eat the right foods, we have to make up the difference some how.

Like I said, all the proof I need is in the photos off my trail cam and my own two eyes.

PS - Learn to use spell check.[/font]
[font=tahoma]

[hr]

[/font][font=tahoma]The following is a much better explanation that I quoted from this great article - [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][size=2]http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=42096&pid=538271[/font]

[font=tahoma]Vitamins[/font][/size]

[font=tahoma]Vitamins are very important to the deer's diet because the organic compounds are needed to support all the deer's life stages. The level of vitamins A, D & E in your feed manages the deer's absorption of calcium and phosphorus affecting not only their skeletal structures and teeth, but also the buck's rack growth and the does fawning nutrition. Let's face it a lot of hunters are becoming to deer management what farmers are to cattle management. We want the highest quality product we can get, and that's large healthy bodies on our deer and we want large racks on our bucks. Along with the right genetics, here's what deer need:[/font]

[align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]1. Vitamin A – The naturally occurring molecule also called retinoid. Affects the deer's [/font][font=tahoma]immune system, cellular function, normal vision, healthy skin and maintenance of the digestive and reproductive systems.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]2. Vitamin D – Responsible for getting the all important bone builders – calcium and phosphorus where they can aid bone health, plus antler development and growth. Without this key nutrient as part of your deer supplemental feed program you will NOT grow larger racks, so make sure your supplemental feeds contain vitamin D![/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]3. Vitamin E – Boosts the deer's immune system to fight off infectious diseases, helps them deal with stressful periods such as harsh winters, droughts and post rut stress, and also is an antioxidant which is associated with selenium.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Minerals[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Minerals are important in a deer's diet because they are essential to antler, bone and tooth development, plus hormone activation and water balance.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Macro Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals that are needed in large amounts, includes; calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium and sulfur.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]1. Calcium – Absorbed through the small intestines then into the bloodstream. Combines with phosphorus to help harden crystal-like substances that create the foundation which strong antler, bone and teeth are developed.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]2. Phosphorus - The second ½ of antler, bone and teeth formation combined with calcium. Important to help regulate the release of energy that fuels the deer's body. Most of a deer's phosphorus content is located in their bones. You don't want your bucks pulling nutrition out of their bones to grow their racks, hence the need for supplementation.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]3. Potassium – Critical to proper pH balance and an aid in digestion. Along with sodium chloride helps to form electrolytes, electrically charged ions that make up a deer's bodily fluids.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]4. Magnesium – Used to make sure calcium is used properly in the body, needed for strong teeth and bones. Helps turn food into energy, assists nerves and muscles.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]5. Sodium – A natural carrier needed for trace minerals. Helps with absorption of amino acids. Animals naturally desire the sodium and chloride found in salt, more so than any other mineral.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]6. Sulfur – Helps in the digestion of foods, found in tendons, ligaments and cartilage.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Trace Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals needed in much smaller amounts by deer. They are copper, iron, zinc, manganese, cobalt, iodine and selenium. These minerals are tied to all systems within the deer's natural development.[/font][/align]
So your saying if hunters dont supplement bucks with minerals, then they wont have large racks? That sounds like a crock made up by some company selling mineral supplements to me. How do you know what minerals your deer had in thier diet before, or after you supplied supplements?   I want to see real proof instead of hearsay, I'm not the one selling minerals here.  Do you think bioloigists use thier eyes alone to research deer behavior?   How do you know the deer aren't getting the minerals out of the plants they browse instead of your mineral site? Maybe the deer were getting all the minerals they needed from natural plants, before they decided to visit your salt lick?  I'm saying that "real" whitetail researchers haven't concluded any facts on "wild" deer benifitting from mineral attractants. I'd rather base my findings on real facts instead of theory. Once again your comparing a deer's digestive tract to humans, that makes no sense at all. That's like implying that cow mineral mixes should be used for deer.  I guess if your hunting penned deer , where you could control when and what the deer ate, they might help in that case, but the deer I hunt are free range. Antler development can vary with living conditions, stress,age, and genentics... so to say that minerals alone are producing larger racks is kinda mis-leading, and non-factual in my opinion.         PS. I didn't know I had to be a english major to post replys on this forum?  I know your trying to sell minerals everytime someone brings up the subject, but don't take it personal, when someone wants to see the proof for your statements.      

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:12 am

We can't use any form of mineral suppiment in NY...so I don't care one way or another....though I fertalize all trees and plots...hoping that helps...any how a reasonable salution to this discussion is.......Google....university studies of mineral suppliments on deer antlers....all kinds of studies pop up for you two to browse....[;)]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 am

We can't use salt/mineral attractants here in IL., I have been envolved in a large debates on supplements at the QDMA forums before I changed my way of thinking about supplements. According to that forum's posters fertalizing your plots is one of the best ways to improve vitamin/mineral plant uptake for deer use ,and I agree. Of course if you live in a coastal area or area with a natural high mineral content..then the deer will ignore your salt / mineral lick anyway. The fact is no one has ever proved mineral supplements beneifical to wild deer through scientific evidence. The salt is why the deer use the licks, not the minerals.  Spreading CWD through mineral sites is not "beneifical" to any herd of deer in my opinion.                                                           [8|]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:45 am

[align=left]So your saying if hunters dont supplement bucks with minerals, then they wont have large racks? That sounds like a crock made up by some company selling mineral supplements to me. How do you know what minerals your deer had in thier diet before, or after you supplied supplements?   I want to see real proof instead of hearsay, I'm not the one selling minerals here.  Do you think bioloigists use thier eyes alone to research deer behavior?   How do you know the deer aren't getting the minerals out of the plants they browse instead of your mineral site? Maybe the deer were getting all the minerals they needed from natural plants, before they decided to visit your salt lick?  I'm saying that "real" whitetail researchers haven't concluded any facts on "wild" deer benifitting from mineral attractants. I'd rather base my findings on real facts instead of theory. Once again your comparing a deer's digestive tract to humans, that makes no sense at all. That's like implying that cow mineral mixes should be used for deer.  I guess if your hunting penned deer , where you could control when and what the deer ate, they might help in that case, but the deer I hunt are free range. Antler development can vary with living conditions, stress,age, and genentics... so to say that minerals alone are producing larger racks is kinda mis-leading, and non-factual in my opinion.         PS. I didn't know I had to be a english major to post replys on this forum?  I know your trying to sell minerals everytime someone brings up the subject, but don't take it personal, when someone wants to see the proof for your statements.      
[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Alright...  I think everyone on here can see by your post history, that you get off on causing arguments with people.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]First, when was I EVER selling anything???  Another DDH member was asking if anyone had a homemade mineral mix, so I provided a mineral recipe that you have to go to your local feed mill to buy. I supplied the cost so people would know that they can get 200 lbs for $70 ($.35 per pound) by doing it themselves or they can waste their money and pay $15 for 10 lbs ($1.50 per pound) for a commercial mix.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Second, when did I EVER say "if hunters dont supplement bucks with minerals, then they wont have large racks?"  What I said was "Most of the minerals will come from the food they eat.  But if the food they eat has inadequate mineral levels then the animal will suffer."   I never said you HAVE to provide a mineral lick to get big bucks.  [font=tahoma][color=#0000ff][size=2]I agree with msbadger and even you, that if you fertilize food plots or have good soil to begin with that that is the best way to go.  But I believe that licks are another way of supplementing their diet.  Just like food plots.  But unlike food plots, mineral licks are inexpensive and easy (not very labor intensive) way of improving you herd.  Not everyone has the resources, time or money to make big food plots and feed their deer.  But anyone can dump some minerals out.[/font][/color][/size][/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Second, you keep saying that I am comparing deer and humans digestive tracts.  When?  And what does the difference in digestion tracts have to do with the deer's need for minerals and vitamins?  All animals need minerals and vitamins.  (Yes that includes deer and humans)  That is fact. (Or are you going to argue that as well???)  And if their food is lacking in the minerals and vitamins they need, they will need to get it from somewhere else or they will not be as healthy or big as they should be.  [/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Yes, I agree, they are attracted to the salt, but by having them lick the salt, they inadvertently absorb the minerals as well.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Last, there are no conclusive studies that prove either way that mineral licks are useless or helpful.  The jury is still out.  Until you have proof that a mineral lick is useless, please stop attacking those of us who believe that they do work and that have seen a difference in our deer.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]PS - You don't have to be an English major, all you have to be is smart enough to hit the spell check button... [/font][/align]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:55 pm

[align=left]So your saying if hunters dont supplement bucks with minerals, then they wont have large racks? That sounds like a crock made up by some company selling mineral supplements to me. How do you know what minerals your deer had in thier diet before, or after you supplied supplements?   I want to see real proof instead of hearsay, I'm not the one selling minerals here.  Do you think bioloigists use thier eyes alone to research deer behavior?   How do you know the deer aren't getting the minerals out of the plants they browse instead of your mineral site? Maybe the deer were getting all the minerals they needed from natural plants, before they decided to visit your salt lick?  I'm saying that "real" whitetail researchers haven't concluded any facts on "wild" deer benifitting from mineral attractants. I'd rather base my findings on real facts instead of theory. Once again your comparing a deer's digestive tract to humans, that makes no sense at all. That's like implying that cow mineral mixes should be used for deer.  I guess if your hunting penned deer , where you could control when and what the deer ate, they might help in that case, but the deer I hunt are free range. Antler development can vary with living conditions, stress,age, and genentics... so to say that minerals alone are producing larger racks is kinda mis-leading, and non-factual in my opinion.         PS. I didn't know I had to be a english major to post replys on this forum?  I know your trying to sell minerals everytime someone brings up the subject, but don't take it personal, when someone wants to see the proof for your statements.      
[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Alright...  I think everyone on here can see by your post history, that you get off on causing arguments with people.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]First, when was I EVER selling anything???  Another DDH member was asking if anyone had a homemade mineral mix, so I provided a mineral recipe that you have to go to your local feed mill to buy. I supplied the cost so people would know that they can get 200 lbs for $70 ($.35 per pound) by doing it themselves or they can waste their money and pay $15 for 10 lbs ($1.50 per pound) for a commercial mix.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Second, when did I EVER say "if hunters dont supplement bucks with minerals, then they wont have large racks?"  What I said was "Most of the minerals will come from the food they eat.  But if the food they eat has inadequate mineral levels then the animal will suffer."   I never said you HAVE to provide a mineral lick to get big bucks.  [font=tahoma][color=#0000ff][size=2]I agree with msbadger and even you, that if you fertilize food plots or have good soil to begin with that that is the best way to go.  But I believe that licks are another way of supplementing their diet.  Just like food plots.  But unlike food plots, mineral licks are inexpensive and easy (not very labor intensive) way of improving you herd.  Not everyone has the resources, time or money to make big food plots and feed their deer.  But anyone can dump some minerals out.[/font][/color][/size][/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Second, you keep saying that I am comparing deer and humans digestive tracts.  When?  And what does the difference in digestion tracts have to do with the deer's need for minerals and vitamins?  All animals need minerals and vitamins.  (Yes that includes deer and humans)  That is fact. (Or are you going to argue that as well???)  And if their food is lacking in the minerals and vitamins they need, they will need to get it from somewhere else or they will not be as healthy or big as they should be.  [/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Yes, I agree, they are attracted to the salt, but by having them lick the salt, they inadvertently absorb the minerals as well.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Last, there are no conclusive studies that prove either way that mineral licks are useless or helpful.  The jury is still out.  Until you have proof that a mineral lick is useless, please stop attacking those of us who believe that they do work and that have seen a difference in our deer.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]PS - You don't have to be an English major, all you have to be is smart enough to hit the spell check button... [/font][/align]
I dont get off on agrueing with anyone, if you would have read all of my 243 posts you might have had a different opinion. I will state my opinion, if you can't handle debate, I don't really care. Your link you provided is selling cow minerals? BTW, $35 a pound is pretty exspenive for basicly salt don't you think? I'll state it again for you.."no one has EVER, proved minerals beneifit wild deer", until they do I'm not wasting my money on them. It's not a attack, it's a opinion based on facts, and backed by deer researchers.  P.S. You need to stop making personal attacks towards my intelligence, or anyone elses for that matter.  I haven't down loaded iespell check yet.. I guess I'm not as computer savvy as your highness.

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements