Shots before legal shooting time

Ohio farms

Shots before legal shooting time

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:05 pm

I was thinking about this. Opening day of gun season is almost upon us and I was wondering if any of you hear many shots before the legal shooting time. Every once in a while I'll hear a shot fired with about 5 minutes to go, but I do remember a shot that was a good 15 minutes early. Whenever I hear an early shot, I always hope nobody was hurt by some fool shooting in the dark. I'm glad to say that no early shoots were ever close to me. I guess my neighbors are an honest bunch.
What has been your experience?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

gonehun10

Re: Shots before legal shooting time

Postby gonehun10 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 am

I always hear them hell even during bow season.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:15 am

Ohio farms wrote:I was thinking about this. Opening day of gun season is almost upon us and I was wondering if any of you hear many shots before the legal shooting time. Every once in a while I'll hear a shot fired with about 5 minutes to go, but I do remember a shot that was a good 15 minutes early. Whenever I hear an early shot, I always hope nobody was hurt by some fool shooting in the dark. I'm glad to say that no early shoots were ever close to me. I guess my neighbors are an honest bunch.
What has been your experience?

We always hear some shots before and after legal shooting time. Some people dont care what there shooting at.
Me, I want to know what i'm shooting at. I dont want to shoot a deer that is'nt ready for harvest, Like a button buck.
I want to be sure, And you cant be sure if you cant see.
but I have to admit, In my younger years when I would shoot any deer that came by, i may have been close a few times.
Jake

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 am

Only once has a deer stood in front of me before shooting time. It was 8 minutes more till legal shooting time and I think it was a doe. Didn't take the shot and I'd like to think that I would have done the same if it was a buck. I know that my Uncle Ed would roll over in his grave if I ever took that shot.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:41 am

I think a lot of hunters just don't bother looking at the time. If a nice buck shows up and it's getting light out and they have no problem seeing it through their scope(if using one) etc..

I've noticed depending upon where I'm hunting it can be "lighter" out than another area. A heavily wooded/pine filled area compared to an open area like a picked corn field or something. Then if there's snow on the ground....

But I have heard shots well before legal hours...dark as can be out there.

LongCut

Postby LongCut » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:08 pm

I generally always hear them. Both before and after legal shooting hours. If you have ever been duck hunting, it is ususally WAY worse than the deer woods. Especially at the state controlled areas of all places. I am not willing to shoot at anything that I cannot identify 10000%, even if it were within the times set forth by law. I have passed on game that would have been legal just do to the conditions. The current weather and area have alot to do with that. I have been out in the morning, where the moon was bright enough, and the foliage light enough, that I could see VERY well long before legal shooting hours. That doens't mean I shot the doe that was well within range. This was during bow season as well, so I am sure I could have gotten away with it, but I like to be able to sleep at night. Cal me crazy.........

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Good for you. True test of a man is when he does what is right when nobody is watching.
You are so right about early duck shooters at controlled hunts. Magee Marsh is nuts sometimes. Not sure why that is.

Return to Ohio