Coleman pump up VS propane lanterns on a blood trail.

Describe the most puzzling blood trail you've ever been on.
kellory

Coleman pump up VS propane lanterns on a blood trail.

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm

water fire exstinguisher.jpg
water fire exstinguisher.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
I intend for this to be a fair competition between the white gas, Coleman pump-up lantern and the modern propane lantern. Both lanterns are the same size, two mantles, and as similar as I could make them. I tried more than fifty brick and mortars for a second reflector for the pump-up lantern, but Coleman has stopped making them, and NO ONE knew where to get them anymore. So, I made a matched pair for this test. I believe they will be better for the purpose then the store bought anyways. Here are the finished reflectors, let me know if there is anything else I should do for set-up of a fair comparison test, or if I have missed anything. both lanterns have the same 5 1/2 inches from the cap down, so the reflective surfaces match.[attachment=0]water fire exstinguisher.jpg[attachment=2]water fire exstinguisher.jpg continued on next post. :)
Attachments
basic reflector surfaces.jpg
basic reflector surfaces.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
bottom half, split evenly.jpg
bottom half, split evenly.jpg (72.46 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Re: Coleman pump up VS propane lanterns on a blood trail.

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:41 pm

kellory wrote:
The attachment water fire exstinguisher.jpg is no longer available
I intend for this to be a fair competition between the white gas, Coleman pump-up lantern and the modern propane lantern. Both lanterns are the same size, two mantles, and as similar as I could make them. I tried more than fifty brick and mortars for a second reflector for the pump-up lantern, but Coleman has stopped making them, and NO ONE knew where to get them anymore. So, I made a matched pair for this test. I believe they will be better for the purpose then the store bought anyways. Here are the finished reflectors, let me know if there is anything else I should do for set-up of a fair comparison test, or if I have missed anything. both lanterns have the same 5 1/2 inches from the cap down, so the reflective surfaces match.[attachment=0]water fire exstinguisher.jpg[attachment=2]water fire exstinguisher.jpg continued on next post. :)
[attachment=0]both cleaned and polished, one cut to expose the same surface area..jpg[attachment=1]both cleaned and polished, one cut to expose the same surface area..jpg[attachment=2]both cleaned and polished, one cut to expose the same surface area..jpg
Attachments
finished reflectors.jpg
finished reflectors.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
cleaned, then polished.jpg
cleaned, then polished.jpg (77.27 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
both cleaned and polished, one cut to expose the same surface area..jpg
both cleaned and polished, one cut to expose the same surface area..jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Update. the white gas pump up lantern refuses to function. the leakage has been stopped and the repair parts have been ordered twice. the first time the order was lost, the second time the parts when they arrived, they were wrong. New parts are on order and should be here friday. Hunting trip is 4 days later. If I can get it working before the trip I will test it then. If not, it will have to wait for the next hunt.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:55 am

Update. Both lanterns now work properly, the white gas one has been repaired. Bothe were used for general use on a three day hunt, but there were no night blood trails. I thought about creating one from our kill, but felt that it would be watered down and might not react the same, so crapped that idea. Only blood trail we had was about 10 feet long and ended in the river. I got to play cowboy and rope it! lantern test will have to wait for next hunt.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:27 am

You have a good idea kellory, But it seems the lamps may be a little bulkey. We wrap alum. foil
over the glass on one side of the lamps to reflect the light and it works very well and is easy to do.
Jake

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:30 am

motorbreaker wrote:You have a good idea kellory, But it seems the lamps may be a little bulkey. We wrap alum. foil
over the glass on one side of the lamps to reflect the light and it works very well and is easy to do.

I have tried that in the past, and every lantern's globe broke due to the concentrated heat, opposite the reflector..I had the same problem with the store bought reflectors, and contacted Coleman about it years ago. I went through a lot of globes, and Coleman said to move the reflectors as far away from the glass as the attachment bracket would allow while in use. :(

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Update. I did not have a night bloodtrail this season, and the season is nearly over, Both lanterns are ready and waiting for the next opportunity to shine (literally) I will update this when the data is in and the pics are ready.

Return to Blood Trailing